Travel Insurance claim

BCPK

Hi,
My parents were due to go on a guided tour in Europe beginnning October. Unfortunately their grandchild (my niece) has been taken seriously ill. A €500 deposit has been paid and the travel co are now looking for the remaining money, €1k. The agents' insurance policy, with Blueinsurance, seems to cover cancellation of holiday due to illness of close relative, including grandchildren. Do yout think it will take much time to reclaim the money from the insurance company? Are my parents throwing more good money after bad, should they just forgo the deposit and keep the rest at risk of solicitor letters from the agent?
Cheers,
BCPK

Hi,

firstly, every policy has subtle differences, so you really should contact the insurance company, but from my experience...

Your parents will probably only be covered for loss of their deposit (less excesses), if they need to cancel their trip due to your niece falling ill as she has fallen ill before the balance is due to be paid, again they should contact the insurance company before paying the balance.

There is probably a clause n the insurance stating something like... cover would not be provided if your niece was hospitalised during the last year, or if the illness is related in any way to a pre-existing medical condition.

I have never worked with claims myself, so unfortunately can't help you with the turn around time.