Travel companies for RTW trips?

S

Seabird

Hello,

I'd like to take a year's career break and do a round the world trips. Problem is I don't know anyone who wants to go now also. I've found internet forums where you can make contact with other people travelling at the same time but I don't want to plan a trip with a stranger. It seems that mostly people plan RTW trips flight by flight as individuals or groups. Although, travelling on my own is not a problem for me normally, for such a long period of travel and because I need a break so badly - I'd really like to book some kind of package or group of packages, even if I'm losing out on adventure/ flexibility to some extent.

I'd be delighted if anyone could suggest some pointers for research/ travel companies, share own experiences....?

Thanks in advance!

SB

I know what you mean independent travelling is great but after a while it's nice to have some company. I've done 3 tours with Intrepid travel http://www.intrepidtravel.com/, Thailand, China and India for 3 weeks, 2 weeks and 10 days respectively and would highly recommend them as in my opinion they strike the right balance between oragnised sightseeing and having your own free time. When I did the one in thailand I then travelled for a week with people I met on the tour after it ended it's a good way to meet other solo travellers.

I have no affiliation with them

Thank you. I rang Trailfinders this afternoon and the chap I talked to gave me names of seven companies to follow up - one of them was Intrepid Travel - now that I've got your recommendation - I'll start with them...
That's a great help. Thanks again!

Hi go for it and go by yourself my daughter 24 has just come back from a round the world trip on her own and she enjoyed every min of it. She met up with loads of people and joined others some of the way and also had the freedom to say 'good bye' when she wanted and go it alone to where she wanted to go. She said she saw some friction between friends that were travelling together and were getting a bit tetchy at being in such close confines for such a long time. She says when she goes again she will also go on her own. She travelled India Thailand Australia New Zealand and South America.

Go on your own, but use hospitalityclub.org or couchsurfing.com to meet up with locals along the way

Hi SeaBird,

I'm in the middle of a RTW trip, travelling on my own, and its fine.
I'm doing a mixture of being totally on my own, and doing organised trips, where I'm in a group with other people.

I was in Australia on my own, and had no problems. Everyone speaks english (of course!) which makes it very easy, and I met up with loads of travellers. You can choose how sociable you want to be, by staying in backpacker hostels where you'll meet lots of people, or more upmarket hotels, where I found I met fewer people (which suited me sometimes).

I'm currently in New Zealand, and am with a group called MagicBus. Its very flexible. The bus leaves a city and travels around the country. If I like a place, I can stay extra days and just catch the next bus which comes through (they go at the same time every day). I've met soo many very nice people that way. We meet up for a few days, and then maybe part, and then meet up again further along the trip.
There are other similar companies - KiwiExperience (for 18 year old partypeople) and StrayTravel.

Someone else mentioned organised groups like Intrepid Travel. I've also travelled with similar companies, when for whatever reason I had no-one else to travel with.
Similar companies are:
- Explore Worldwide
- Exodus
- The Imaginitive Traveller
- Journey Latin America
- Guerba
- GAP Adventures.

Enjoy your travels!
Shiraz.

Hans, Luke, Shiraz,

Thanks for all your suggestions! I haven't logged in for a week - so it's a very pleasant surprise to find all your advice waiting for me.

Yes, I think I'll do a bit of both - some trips to get to see key places and time on my own to wander a bit between.

I wonder if any of you might know of websites where I might find blogs of people doing the same type of RTW trip??

Tx again.
SB.

also have a look on the loney planet website they have a great forum there and you can see reviews of all the places along the way

enjoy!

Megan, DerUncle and Gar123,

I've just dropped into all the sites you recommended and have found great forums and articles specifically for RTW trips on each - thank you!

SB

Back