Travel Cards London

airgead07

Anyone used the Visitor Oyster Cards travelling around London?

are they good value, easy to use?

I highly recommend them. Can't remember all the details but looked it up on internet and got them on landing at airport - saved loads of time, money and hassle in travelling around london.

Never ever buy the visitors versions of travel tickets or cards ANYWHERE, they are always way more expensive than the regular version.

I have a regular Oyster pay as you go, have had it for 3 years now. It cost £20 ie £3 oyster charge and £17 credit. I top up as I go and if at any time I want my £3 back I can hand the card back. The Oyster caps the fare at 50p less than a travelcard for all the zones visited in that day so you save. It's really handy and works on the buses too. I like to leave about £10 on it because sure then I have to go back, can't be wasting £10!

Oyster cards are brilliant. You buy one for a small amount (can't remember how much), and then top it up whatever amount you think you will need. Hold on to the card when you leave London 'cos you can use it and any unused credit on it when you visit London again - even years into the future. They can be topped up at any underground station. Buy one at Heathrow and it will cover you on the tube into London also the buses and tube in London.

I have one, but havent been to London in a couple of years, but still have some credit. Do they ever expire?

I used mine after a two year gap; I think the ticket sales clerk said there was no expiry on it. There is no expiry date on the card either.

As far as I know the visitor oyster card is exactly the same as the normal ones except it comes pre loaded so you don't have to worry about putting money in before you first use it. They can only be used as Pay as you go though so couldn't load a weekly travelcard onto one. They are not more expensive than the ordinary ones and can be topped up as normal. I think they cost £2 plus whatever what credit you want pre-loaded. There is no expiry date date on them.

Sorry to be such a thicko - but what is an Oyster Card??

Its a credit card shaped card that you can charge with credit. You then swipe the card on all forms of London Transport and the fare gets deducted from your credit.