Travel Agency - Cancelled holiday but they want full payment

eimsRV

My sister booked for myself and her to go to Boston in November as part of a group of 8 friends that are going over for shopping, etc. She paid a deposit of €250 each about 4 weeks ago.

I've since discovered I'm pregnant and have decided not to go as I'll be in my 3rd trimester and checked with doc who said best not to travel.

When my sister called up the travel agency they told her that the full balance of my holiday needs to be paid despite the fact that I won't be travelling, plus she has to pay a change of room fee to share with 2 friends instead.

Does anyone know if this is correct? I'd guessed that we'd lose the deposit but I cant understand why the full amount has to be paid!

Presumebly a contract was agreed/signed. What does this say re cancellation?

Presumably, the full balance of your holiday would include the hotel bill. If that's the case, why should your sister have to pay more for her hotel accommodation? I'm guessing she was due to share with you, in which case she should be able to take the room on her own at no extra cost.

Thanks all, seems like a bit of fuss over nothing after all!!
After disputing this with the lady in the travel agency she rang up the company they use and they confirmed that only the deposit would be charged and my sister can transfer to a 3 bed room with 2 friends, which will work out slightly cheaper for the 3 of them!