Transporting Goldfish!

jesster

I am helping my sister move into her new place this weekend and I have been given the task of transporting her "precious" goldfish. The new place is about 90 mins away and half of the journey will be driving on some pretty winding country roads. Ill be on my own in car too.

Will it be okay to just remove half of water from tank and then maybe pad the tank with some of the bags. Or should I put them into seperate bags like I've seen when you buy fish in shops.

This may seem like a trivial thing but I really want them to arrive alive.

I'd transfer to bags - they are okay for a couple of hours in a bag. Make sure you use the water from the tank/bowl - don't fill with water from the tap - too cold for them!.

I did this a couple of years ago when I moved.

Put water from bowl and fish into clear plastic bag. Tie secure knot in top of bag. Put bag containing water and fish into original bowl. Fish thinks he is just in the bowl, bowl travels safetly with nothing slopping over the sides

Is it a new build your sis is moving into?

After my careful transportation of fish I put them into their new home and changed the water after a couple of days. Fish immediately started gasping round top of water, turned out water from taps in new apartment was not suitable for fishies - new pipes need to be in use a while before metallic content in water became fishie friendly.

As a result I lost one fishie to great fishbowl in the sky and other guy went off to be fostered in a friends house - where he remains to this day having formed an attachment with friends niece.

good point about water - can you pour the remainder of the water in the bowl into a bottle and bring it with you - at least for a few days fishies will have their own water - when you are cleaning out the bowl after a couple of days, just empty half out and fill with new water so they get a good mix!.

Makes me laugh - my sister keeps telling people about the goldfish we had for 10 years! - no idea he was replaced at last 5 times within that decade - on one occasion when we couldn't get a replacement we cut a sliver of carrot and put it into the tank then put the tank up onto a high shelf, she could see the orange so was more than happy! - he didn't eat much that week though!

thats so funny ney001. Dont think my sis would fall for anything like that if I killed the fish. Although her eyesight is a bit dodgey so maybe...

Thanks for the advice. Think Ill go with the bag in the bowl idea. Ill pass on the advice about the water. Its not a new build but maybe its best to keep fish in the same water for a little while. Maybe Ill get a "Fish on board" sticker to warn other motorists

Does she live near a river? If so, maybe they could swim there themselves?

You could put the bowl in the water until they swim out and then have it waiting for them again at the other end when they arrive so they could swim back into it.