Transport list of email addresses on excel to email

remey

Hi,

I have a database of email addresses on excel, about 200 or so
I want to transport them to outlook to send an e mailshot.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this? (in really basic language)

Thanks

Hi,

You should be able to do a copy / paste BUT it depends on your mail system & how email addresses are separated - some use space, others comma, other semi-colon.

Do you know which one your email uses?

If you want you can send the excel sheet to me & I'll get the list formatted for you.

Otherwise highlight the cells in the excel spreadsheet with the email addresses you require, click on the menu item "edit" up top, then click "copy". Then in your email, click on where you enter the email address & click "Edit" then "paste" - your email addresses will be pasted in then. BUT it depends on your email whether it separates addresses by space/comma/semi-colon etc.

Most email systems need a comma between email addresses. So add a new column to your spreadsheet, and put a comma into the cell to the right of the email address. You can use cut/paste to copy the comma to each of the 200 lines of your spreadsheet.

Then select the email address and the comma, and copy and paste this into the bcc box in your email system. Make certain you use the bcc, so that each email recipient does NOT get to see the full list of email addresses.

Some email hosts won't like you sending the same message to 200 people, as a spam protection measure. You might need to split into smaller chunks, e.g. four messages to 50 people each.

There's an import function in Outlook which allows you to import from an excel file - depending on how the excel sheet is set up, that might be possible?

(I have never used it myself so don't know if it might work).

It's accessed in Outlook by clicking the File menu then the "import and export" option and following the instructions.

Commas work too.

Might be our set up here so, or the Office 10/ v14 Outlook we have, but only semi-colons are accepted. Trying commas results in an error and the message says to use semi-colons instead.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I've managed to get it. Very helpful replies and thanks a million Jazz for your offer to do it for me. Could be getting back on to you yet!!!

Just one more question, do you put your own email in the To box or what?

Oh my god!!! I didnt think an email would send without putting something in the To box.
How did I even make it to work today??
I'm good at other stuff. I swear