Translation: irish gaelic to english?

Joody1

can anyone translate this for me please - I am not sure what the content is and hopefully it is not rude!

Dia dhuit Groanda, cad é mar atá tú ?
Cáintear na fileadha
's ni hiad do bhionn cionntach;
Ni fachtar as na soighthighe
acht an Ián do bhios ionnta

Táim go maith

Re: Translation

The first and last lines are straightforward enough (and not rude) fairly standard polite greeting and response.

"Dia dhuit Groanda, cad é mar atá tú ?" God be with you Groanda, what way are you? (Hello Groanda, how are you)?

Táim go maith - I am good (well)

These middle lines scan and rhyme (cionntach & ionnta) like an extract / quote from a piece of poetry and sound vaguely familiar -

"Cáintear na fileadha
's ni hiad do bhionn cionntach;
Ni fachtar as na soighthighe
acht an Ián do bhios ionnta"

Cáintear na fileadha 's ni hiad do bhionn cionntach; The poets (? na fileadha) are taxed and its not them that are guilty

Ni fachtar as na soighthighe acht an Ián do bhios ionnta You dont get out of the (soighthighe ?) acts but the total that's in them

A very poor effort I'm afraid. :(

Re: Translation

Cáintear na fileadha 's ni hiad do bhionn cionntach; The poets (? na fileadha) are taxed and its not them that are guilty

Ni fachtar as na soighthighe acht an Ián do bhios ionnta You dont get out of the (soighthighe ?) acts but the total that's in them

A very poor effort I'm afraid. :(

Almost there:
The poets are blamed, but it's not they who are guilty;
You don't get from the vessels but the amount they can hold.

Many thanks everyone for your kind replies - Many moons ago when I was at school in Ireland it was compulsory to learn gaelic, but it is like everything else if you do not keep it up and when it is not spoken in the home you lose it.

Back