Transformers for recessed lights failing regularly

arasain

Hi
Have just moved to a new self build with lots of dimmable recessed lights throughout. There's transformers on all these but the lights regularly fail to work or flicker when switched on. My electrician has advised that because of my rural location (and the associated compromised supply) that's sometimes to be expected. Personally I don't buy this at all and reckon it's either a bad make of transformer that's being used or sub standard installation. Anyone any ideas

I know somebody living in a rural area of Kildare whose nominally 230V mains supply surges or dips wildly - I wonder if this might be happening and might be a contributory factor? Would surge protectors or other filters on the supply to the transfomers help perhaps?

Clubman
Maybe surge protectors would help but do the esb not install these as part of a normal new connection? or is it something I'd have to get done

Petermack
I'd buy that alright - loads of insulation in my roofspace in the environs of the lights.
Electrician also suggested that it could be the dimmer switch rather than the transformers that's at fault - this i'd also buy as there's a buzz from this switch that's a lot louder than other dimmer switches in the house
Thanks

Yeah could be a prob with the dimmer alright but all the lights should have a piece of wood over them to cover all of the electrics as the insulation can go on fire. Maybe they are overheating. Maybe get rid of the dimmer switches and put in on/off switches with the minimum wattage bulbs. Just a suggestion.

Those intumescent covers are essential on a 1 hour rated ceiling alright but a bit OTT on a standard 30 minute domestic ceiling. I've seen an improvised version of this idea made up from drywall board (plasterboard); I made up open ended boxes in MDF to surround downlighters in my own ceiling, this keeps the insulation away from them and offers protection to the fitting when accessing the roofspace.

I've used fire rated downlighters that come with an inbuilt hood. A bit dearer but worth it .........

secman

transformers must be of the dimmable variety,not all are,a slight dip in voltage wont cause lights to flicker they may all dim slightly.The dimmer switches have to be rated way above the load,ie 300 watts of lighting,a 450 watt dimmer shold be fitted.A good sparks would sort this out for you.

I presume that these are 12v halogen bulbs. Have you considered replacing the light fittings with GU10 fittings, which look identical, fit in the same ceiling hole, operate on mains power without transformers.

They say a [broken link removed] is worth a thousand words.... It's a type of lamp fitting, most recessed lights use them.
Leo

electricians seem to always go for transformers. maybe theres a good reason i dont know about but it seems a bit of a scam. either its a way of selling you expensive hardware you dont need increase their profit or it helps discourage people from putting in loads of cheap gu10 fittings which would be more work for the electrician

Its actually easier to fit down lighters without transformers,most people are under the impression that transformer fed lights are more economical,this is not true as transformers are very inefficient ways of stepping voltage and lose a lot of power through heat,i fit hundreds of down lighters in my job and more often try to get the customer to go with mains lights.

i meant more work in the sense that if customers knew that a gu10 fitting costs 2.50 versus 20 for a transformer they would be more inclined to use more of them

Back