Transferring of deeds

gabyday

On separation as a civil partnership 5 years now I was awarded through the family court as beneficial owner of the family home. It had and still has a significant mortgage which I have been paying since. The mortgage is still in both of our names and I have now had to contact him through my solicitor as he still has not signed over the rights of the property to me. If I get this sorted and I then redeem my mortgage do I need a solicitor to help with the transfer of deeds into my name only and will I pay fees like stamp duties. I understood that I am exempt from stamp duty in situations like this or do I have to pay and apply for a refund?

Stamp Duty exemption
If this describes your situation, you should be ok (and you don't need to pay and then get a refund of stamp duty).

Your solicitor should be able to deal with this, unless you had free legal aid - in which case you may not be covered for post-litigation conveyancing work - and you may then need to retain a private solicitor to finalise this.

You will have conveyancing fees to solicitor and Land Registry fees. Budget on circa €2k. It may come in a little cheaper.

Back