Transferring Irish mortgage to UK?

ricko10

After living in Ireland for the past 12 years it's time to move back to England. Is there a way of selling my house here, and buying one in England and transferring my mortgage? Reason being I wouldn't have a UK credit rating so couldn't get a mortgage. my current mortgage is with boi. Would they let me transfer to boi UK?
Any advice is greatly appreciated

No you can't do that, you will have to clear the mortgage here so the bank will release the deeds for the sale to go through. Then you have to apply for a new mortgage on a new property. You would have to do that even if both properties were in Ireland.

OK thanks.
So what I'm asking is, as I have no credit history in the UK. Have I got more chance getting a mortgage with boi UK as I have one already with boi?

I don't know. BoI UK will have no access to your Irish records either, but any UK bank can ask you to get a copy of your Irish ICB report for them or can ask for statements to back up your credit history.

You don't specifically need UK credit history. Bank will just want to know you can afford the mortgage and will pay them.

They will probably ask for 12 months bank statements, p60, 6 months payslips, 3 years mortgage statment and may ask you to request a ICB report and forward it to them.

It could be advantageous to open your account with UK post office - their banking is operated by bank of Ireland and they offer mortgages.

Boi uk is wholly owned by boi Ireland so would probably be able to access your credit record with them

i did this the opposite way round (UK to Ireland) in 2007 and got a mortgage in 2008.

I suspect what will be more important than UK Credit History (assuming your Irish one is good) is proof of employment/income etc so you might need to be there past whatever probationary period you might have in your new job

Back