Transferring files from old computer to new computer

eagle85

I have just bought a new computer and want to transfer all my documents files pictures etc on to the new computer from my old one. Can anyone suggest the easiest way to do this.

Last edited:
Re: Transferring

USB stick or external hard drive, copy all from existing machine and plug into new machine and copy

Thanks Paddy this is prob a stupid question but is there a quick way to just copy all or will i have to go in to each folder and copy seperatly ...

Copy any folders you want to transfer onto cd.
Do a search for any other documents or pics ie Excel/Word docs etc by searching for files ending .xls and then .doc and then .jpg and .jpeg etc
Copy these onto cd and onto new PC hard drive.

Large capacity USB drive is the way to go unless you have a network set up. Using CDs or even DVDs to transfer a large amount of data is a pain.
Leo

Thanks Paddy this is prob a stupid question but is there a quick way to just copy all or will i have to go in to each folder and copy seperatly ...

Assuming your running XP and have saved all doc and pictures in their default locations then copy the "My" Documents folder, typically this will have all you doc and your pictures stored in folders under that. I you have used seperate folders then copy over each one and probably hold onto the old machine for a short while as you nearly always forget to copy something the first time around.

Don't bother going the cd /dvd route .... if you have a home network setup you could create and map a network drive and copy directly from one machine to the other.....USB stick/hard drive is the simplest really

If you're working with XP, the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard is just the job.

Here's a link to instructions for using the Wizard:

Back