transferring car from deceased to me

Ravima

Sorry if I am in wrong forum.

man dies and executor completes transfer of ownership form to give car to me. Local authority will not accept documentation unless I supply letter from executor confirming that i am to be new owner. Is this correct? I have already supplied them with copy of probate and that was all that was needed to transfer house and other property to other beneficiaries.

Why is the LA involved? My brother took my father's car when my father died and didn't have any hassle even though there was nothing formal about it.

I could not understand this post either. The only reason the LA is involved is to tax the car.

The transfer of ownership form should have been completed by the executor and the OP with the OP's name as the new owner and sent to the Vehicle Registration Unit in Shannon and a new licensing certificate will issue with the new owner's name.

Cannot understand why a local authority would need to see copies of probate.

this is an older vehicle with the older tax book (pinkish purplish one) and an RF" form was completed to register the new ownership. the form was signed by executor, but local authority would not accept without a letter from executor to confirm that I am the new owner.

Is the old RF2 form redundant and should I write to Shannon instead as one does with the newer registration certificate?

Obviously this vehicle is pre 1993 if it has the old style 'log book'.

You could just write a letter signed by both yourself and the executor stating that the vehicle is being transferred to you and see if they will accept this.

Back