Transfering in Washington DC

myate

Just wondering if anybody on here has flown Dublin-Washington then transferred to a domestic US flight - on United Airlines.
Just wondering what the transfer is like, how long it takes, do you have to identify your bags? Do all United flights from Dublin clear immigration here, I would have thought they did.
Have done Newark & Chicago transfers before where you have had to pick you bag up & move it. But Atlanta last year we didn't!
thanks

Hi myate, we flew dublin to Washington to San Diego on united last year and the bags were transferred straight through.

Thanks for that info...good to know. I found & booked slightly cheaper, but better times for a Delta flight going through Atlanta, which we found one of the easiest transfers ever last year!

You have to clear your bags through customs at the 1st point of arrival to the US.

If you're transferring, there is usually a system where you pick up the bag , run it through customs and get rid of it almost immediately onto a conveyor belt on the other side

The main point is that your bags have to clear US customs at the 1st point of arrival, provided your final destination is also USA. If youre transferring in the US but your final destination is outside USA, then there is no need

You have to clear your bags through customs at the 1st point of arrival to the US.
Which will likely be CBP Terminal 2 in Dublin airport. If the baggage is cleared in Dublin there is no need to clear it again.

Are you talking about Dulles airport for both flights? there's more than one airport "in Washington".

It would have been Dulles for both, but as mentioned, I've got another flight into & out of Atlanta. Where you don't have to pick up bags for ID...well I didn't last year anyway!