transfering data from acorn storage cassette to current means of storage

positivenote

Hi all, stange problem this one...
my partners grand father has been typing his biography over the past 10-15 years on an acorn comp[uter with a word processor attached and has been storing all the content on storage cassettes... im trying to find out if there is a way of transfering this info from these tapes to a memory stick/cd or something similiar. Any help or info would be great. thanks

Bloody hell that is a doozy, it's 15 years since i've seen one of those!

I'd suggest a through google search and see if you can find some dedicated forums to ask on since someone, somewhere has probably done it.

The only thing off the top of my head (which would be a laborious task depending on how long the book is) would be to print the entire thing off and the use a scanner with ocr (optical character recognition) software to import it to a pc.

Good luck!

Sounds like a tricky one allright. You might want to search if there are PC based emulators of the type of Acorn computer he has. Even then I'm not sure if you could get the data off a tape (though it may be possible to do something through the PC sound card with an emulator).

dam099 said:
Sounds like a tricky one allright. You might want to search if there are PC based emulators of the type of Acorn computer he has. Even then I'm not sure if you could get the data off a tape (though it may be possible to do something through the PC sound card with an emulator).

There's an emulator (with tape support) available here: http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/

Yep, emulator is your best option, as well as needing a way to get the tape hooked up to your PC.

Back