Transfer at Frankfurt or Amsterdam ?

zag

We are heading to China later in the year and are trying to work out the flight details.

Based on experience of flying to & from Amsterdam a lot over the last few years I think it will be hard to beat transferring through there. Everything is on the level, there are plenty of restaurants and places to sit, and everything is in the one terminal. In short - it is the anti-Heathrow. Flights would be with KLM and from what I have heard their long haul product is acceptable if not spectacular.

The alternative would appear to be with Lufthansa via either Frankfurt or Munich. I have only been through Munich once recently and it was in-and-out so I don't know what it is like for transfers and I know nothing of Frankfurt other than it used to be state of the art back in the 80s or so. Prices with Lufthansa are a little cheaper, but I really don't want to save €100 and end up with extremely tired kids after a long haul flight floating around an airport that may not be suitable. Plus, the word on the websites is that the Lufthansa long haul product is quite uninspiring and again, I am prepared to pay a little extra to make sure the kids are comfortable so we don't end up with tired/cranky kids in the middle of the transfer.

Can anyone advise what Frankfurt or Munich are like for long haul transfers (originating from Dublin) ? I *know* Amsterdam is good, but if the German airports are equally good I would consider them.

Thanks,

z

In my opinion, Amsterdam/KLM every time.

Nothing wrong with the alternatives you mentioned (if you were looking at Heathrow it really would be a no brainer!), just the experience is likely to be better in pretty much all respects, and travelling with children every little helps.

My opinion is that you can't beat Amsterdam for transfers. However, I have transferred in Frankfurt on a number of occasions without a problem (onward flight within Germany). Also, I was surprised to hear a friend complain about quality on LH long-haul flights.

Better the devil you know - I'd go with Amsterdam and KLM.

As noted Frankfurt isn't great (high % of flights tend to arrive/depart at bus gates) - terminal is a bit old fashioned ... It's more "coherent" than Heathrow and all Lufthansa operations are in the same terminal .. but it certainly isn't ideal especially if you're not familiar with it.

I really like Munich for transfers, it's a very modern airport (was built on a greenfield site about 10 years ago) ...However there is one terminal for Lufthansa (and partners) and another terminal for everyone else .. given that Aer Lingus are the only carrier serving Dublin-Munich this means you'd have to change terminal - not impossible at all but a bit of hassle.

Amsterdam is plrobably the best option, as you're already familiar with it. It's all in the one terminal and benefits from the fact that security clearance is at the gates so you avoid big central security queues like in LHR.

I ve been to Frankfurt Airport about 10 times in the last 2 years and well ...its got shops, restaurants etc but It can be very stressful to go through.

To get through it (back to Ireland) you usually have to check in twice and go through 2 metal detectors. Just when I thought one stressful queue was enough, I found the one procedure unecessarily duplicated, take belt off , remove small change from pockets, open hand luggage (remove anything metal from hang luggage) etc.
Then I found you better not be even a few minutes late (and think you have time to board) because theres a bus which leaves the terminal to the airplane. And catching the bus is the object of the game. Not catching the plane as theres no other way to get to the plane and board. However if you are not in a hurry, theres nothing basically wrong with the place and its well serviced by airport shops.

Its a while since I ve been to Amsterdam so I cant really compare by memory. But I imagine you are closer to China from Frankfurt therefore its a fairer stop off rest point and theres also the German reputation for time keeping and efficiency.

Its your call ;)

As regards the difference between long haul on Lufthansa and KLM.

It's true that KLM have individual TVs on their more modern aircraft (777s and Airbus 330s) - However the aircraft they use to Shanghai/Beijing are older 747 aircraft which do not have Individual TV screens.

Lufthansa Long Haul economy class is certainly poor as (amongst other drawbacks) they've not got individual TVs on any aircraft at all ... However if you're on a KLM aircraft with no personal TVs either .. I'm not sure how different it will be ?

Back