Trans fats: stealth killers - enough to put you off your food

Sunnyboy

Not sure if this is the right forum but I caught the end of a piece by Ross Golden Bannon (Sunday Tribune food critic) on the radio a couple of weeks ago. He was talking about trans fats and how harmful they were.

I hadn't heard of them before, but now that I have started to look, I wish I still hadn't. Definitely going to try and avoid them as much as possible.

Here's a "taste" of what it's about

[broken link removed]

Already discussed here. If you check the food labels you'll be amazed at how many items contain these extremely harmful fats - aka Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils.

DelG,
The link you provided related to "sulphur dioxide in apricots". There is no mention in the thread of "transfatty acid". Perhaps you meant to link another thread?

Woods,
Please stick to discussing the topic and please refrain from making personalised remarks about other posters.

aj

In Canada on holidays last week and nearly all restaurants were advertising food to be trans fat free. All TV advertising included the same.They even seemed to have a logo tha appeared on everything from crisps to pizzas.

It's people's own fault for being so terrified of 'regular' fats in the 80s and 90s, this has resulted in transfats so that labels can say 'now with x% less saturated fat' and sugar laden foods that say '95% fat free' or whatever.

ajapale said:
DelG,
The link you provided related to "sulphur dioxide in apricots". There is no mention in the thread of "transfatty acid". Perhaps you meant to link another thread?
If you scroll down, you'll see the reference to Trans Fats - I've seen ClubMan pick out a particular post within a thread, but don't know how to do it, sorry!

delgirl said:
If you scroll down, you'll see the reference to Trans Fats - I've seen ClubMan pick out a particular post within a thread, but don't know how to do it, sorry!
Click on the post number (e.g. the "#9" at the top right of this post) and it gives you a link to an individual post in a thread.

I've got to the stage now where I just generally eat anything (well apart from McBurgers)

There is so much stuff to be careful of; hydrogenated fats, palm oil, excess refined sugar, artificial sweetners, frankenfoods, sulphites in wine & dried fruit, pesticides on salad, high fat foods, free radicals... the list goes on and on...

Maybe we start growing our own stuff.

It's pretty easy to eat well, follow this simple rule, the more steps taken to get into the form you're eating it the worse for you.

ajapale said:
DelG,

Woods,
Please stick to discussing the topic and please refrain from making personalised remarks about other posters.

aj
Sorry
I know that I can be a bit of a prat sometimes but other times I am very nice so try to put up with me.
I get a little overheated sometimes when it comes to discussion on food because it has been top of my agenda for most of my life.
I will be good and crawl back in to my box (for now)

I'm inclined to agree with you. Nothing would surprise me re changes of heart as to what is good or not for people (other than maybe an announcement that smoking is good for you):

yes dairy, no dairy
no saturated fats but no trans fats either

Giz a break, I concur with the poster that said just eat well and let the scientists contradict themselves about the rest of it.

But the problem with eating well is that it means eating fresh and natural (as I do) but then you are eating unprocessed and untreated food and you still have to worry about getting worms and accidentally swallowing larve eggs etc.
Eating right does not come easy.

Not everybody would agree that eating as you do is necessarily the only or most pragmatic way to eat well.

I think the old stomach acid takes care of most of that, I dont think there were epidemics of people dying of food posioning in Ireland before every scrap of food became laced with chemicals.

While the use of chemicals in the production of food makes sense from a producers point of view (spray for blight etc.), the secondary production of what is produced is largely unnecessary and avoidable and is often done for greater "convenience". e.g. spuds become topping for ready packed Shepards Pie (I'm assuming they use potato but I could well be wrong).

So its a personal choice, TV dinners with perservatives etc., or peel the spuds and cook the meat yourself.

Trans fats (hydogenated vegetable oil) are to be avoided - as the name suggests they are vegetable fats treated with hydrogen.....one effect this has is to stop food melting at room-temperature - eg: chocolate or cheap confectionary so it has a longer shelf life........its cheap and unhealthy but companies dont care once people are buying and they're makin money...........

unfortunately it also clogs your arteries and may be carcinogenic.......compared to a healthy fat like extra virgin olive oil its about as far removed as u can get........ive seen this stuff and its very viscous, gloopy looking crap that id rather avoid having enter my body.......its effects may not be apparent now but a stroke, heart attack or a dose of cancer may wake u up.............

the problem with fresh fruit and vegetables is that they are expensive and they have a short shelf life, so many companies avoid using them to increase profits.....they create manmade foods which can be devoid of nutritional value and very unhealthy.......

for fear of upsetting myself with peoples general lack of concern about their bodies and health and the burden they create on their countries' health system, ill stop my ramblings now!