Trains in Australia

E

ElCrowe88

Me and five friends are going to Australia in two weeks, we will be going from Sydney to Melbourne, we then want to go to Brisbane. Would it be worth getting a backpacker train ticket for just two trains ( Sydney-Melbourne, Melbourne-Brisbane) or are the individual tickets cheaper?

Flights are probably cheaper - try Virgin blue, trains cheaper if booked around 14 days in advance. Car drive from Sydney to Melbourne is nice, if you have time (allow an one overnight stop at least)

I would say it depends on whether time is an issue - if you are only going to be there for a short period I would fly - you can get cheap flights- check jetstar, virgin blue etc. It is a good 10/11 hr drive/train journey between Melbourne and Sydney on the motorway and the same again to brisbane.
Drove the scenic route between Melbourne and sydney- thought it was very average came back on the Motorway. Pacific highway brings you to Brisbane it is around 1000km - a few places to stop on the way.

Honestly, fly. I took the train from Brissie to Sydney and while you get to see the countryside (and some really beautiful countryside) you get to see an awful lot of it at about 50mph (or slower). It took 14 hours. Also I thought that the service on the train was pretty poor. The staff seemed to regard customers as inconvenient and while they weren't for the most part hostile or rude, they did seem to view any requests as impositions. Also simple things like meals weren't included in the price of the first class ticket etc. and the food was pretty crap. On the whole I wouldn't bother. Even with the extra leg and seat room in first and the generally roomier carriage it is a long time to be sitting and I can imagine it would have been quite uncomfortable in regular class carriages.
If you want to do an interesting train journey in Oz, look into either the 'Ghan (North-South, Darwin-Adelaide via Alice Springs) or the India-Pacific (East-West, Perth-Sydney via Adelaide) as the service is better and the journey is more interesting, both of those are considered among the great train journeys in the world. Even if you just did Sydney to Adelaide leg climbing up over the Blue Mountains which is an overnight journey.
To note, if you do decide to do the whole thing on the train, you will have to return to Melbourne-Sydney, Sydney-Brisbane.

If its a holiday then fly, if you are backpacking then I would recommend renting a six seater one way as I did this with 5 friends and we spent quite a while getting from Sydney down as we stopped off and met some interesting Aussie's along the way.Would definitely fly from Melbourne to Brisbane though as you will have enough time spent in the car. Enjoy every second of it, wish I was on that trip again!

Back