Train travel in Austria / Booking online

Rovers1901

trying to book return train tickets between vienna and salzburg on the oebb website. I can't seem to get a return price though, just prices for each single leg of the journey. Is this the way they operate does anyone know or am I just missing something obvious on the website??

Had a good look around but can't seem to find where I get a return price.

It's the way they operate. Which train you select has a bearing on the price i.e. the faster IC or EC trains are more expensive or incur a supplementary charge as opposed to the IR trains which are slower.

There is a poster, who is based in Austria, who may be able to assist further, it's been a while since I've lived there.

Oebb do offer some very good deals if you're travelling by train a lot, their regional passes and weekend tickets are very good value. If it's just for one trip there may not be much of a discount.

Have a look for the "Einfach-Raus-Ticket" in the German language section. It cost €28 for a group of up to 5 people to travel on regional trains (Regionalzug (R), RegionalExpress (REX), S-Bahn, Regio S-Bahn (RSB), EURegio (ER), Erlebniszug (EZ) ) anywhere in Austria. It's valid from 09:00 -03:00 Monday to Friday, all day 0:00 - 03:00 Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.

Thanks, actually that ticket you mention seems similar to one in Germnay if memory serves. I'll check it out.

Hi Rovers1901, I am the Austrian.... I must admit the oebb webpage is not user-friendly... But anyways, apart from the ticket already recommended, if you go into this website [broken link removed] you can enter the whole trip and it will give you return prices, I simply entered a date for going out and coming back and got 3 otpions. The relevant ones are either the "Standardticket", which is 88 Euros retunr or the "Euro 08 Host City Ticket" which is 91 Euros return and inlcudes travel on public transport in Salzburg until the following day lunchtime.

Hope this helps!