Traffic effects of a general election - 25 minute commute rather than one hour

Lipstick69

I think I’ve found one way of solving the traffic issues in Dublin. We should have a general election every day. I drove from my house in Blanchardstown (leaving 8.55am), and was in O’Connell St. by 9.19am. This is a journey that normally takes me just under an hour. There was no traffic on the Navan Road, and the journey from the Blanchardstown Centre slip road to Phibsboro only took 9 minutes. This on average takes over 30 minutes. I had expected the traffic to be bad because of extra people taking cars to vote on the way to work, but obviously the schools being closed had a beneficial effect. So we don’t need extra buses, metros, luas etc., we just need people to stop driving children to school!

Believe me, I've tried the bus, and even with the traffic it's quicker for me to drive. Plus I don't have to put up with them dealing hash on the 38. The train station is too far from me to take that option.

Could never understand why schools start at 9 o'clock instead of 8 or 7 thirty, would solve some of the traffic problems.

All those parents that drive to work would then get there on time!!

Believe me, I've tried the bus, and even with the traffic it's quicker for me to drive. Plus I don't have to put up with them dealing hash on the 38. The train station is too far from me to take that option.

It's definitely quicker to drive! I took the bus this morning as I didn't feel like driving and we were opposite the 39 bus stop in the village voting anyway so after I voted, I waited 3 mins until a 39 appeared. It then took 45 minutes to get into the city centre, at around the same time you were driving Lipstick!

Back