Trading Up-what price to expect

JJ1982

Hi all

I am currently going about changing cars. I would like to go up a few years a get a stronger engine. However as I would prefer to sell my car privately rather than trade in ( this is because i feel garages do not give a good price for trade ins and also the cash price without trade in is cheaper) but i am trying to see what i should price my car at.

Details:

Nissan Micra 03- Gold- 39K miles, elec windows, power steering, nct's til 09, timing chain just replaced. Is 6.5k a reasonable price to expect? i bought it for 9k in may last year.

Many thanks

Give a more detailed discription of the car.

Joejoe

I agree check out carzone i have found one from a garage for €5,500 and it is not an import.ok you have paid €9,000 but it is 5 years old and a garage will always command a higher price than if you are selling it privatley.If you are looking for €6,500 is it in good condidtion and is the boby work ok?

hi i would reccomend that you trade in at the best price offered for your old car.
my daughter bought a new car january and decided to sell old car privatly
bad decision old car still in drive-way cant get any resonable offers not even origional trade in value offered by supplier of her new car

Hi thanks for replies, i did already look on carzone and there was a big range in prices so I just wanted to see opinions.

Joe joe, its a gold car, the new model, cream interiors and body work ok. i am not sure what else info i can think of!

I was in a similar suitation a few months ago. I decided to trade in my car and it was the right move. I know I lost some money but I have sold cars privately before and it can take time. With the current market unless you are offering a fantastic deal the car will be hanging around for a while.

I just checked the Garage and my trade in car is still unsold 3 1/2 months later.

Alloys? engine size? Body work just "ok" or better?

I've noticed a big difference in prices for Micras too but have noticed that the 1.2 16v for example commands disproportionately better prices than the 1.0. Alloys can make quite a difference too.

Hi, no disrespect to any of the other posters as they're al entitled to their opinion, but im a car sales man myself and the garage i work for which would be the biggest in my county which without giving too much away is down in the south east! we had a 04 micra about a month ago, 1.0 39mls, we sold it straight for 6500, normal price 6950. If you came to our garage with a 03 micra, the most id offer you for it would be 4500 - 4900.

carzone is only a ROUGH guide because lets not forget, we all ha swelled impression of what our cars are worth!and this is VERY evident in some of the crazy prices on carzone.

if im to be brutally honest, you paid too much for that car last year.