Trading in Car

Nancy1

Hi there
I am thinking of changing my car but I don't want to go to the bother of selling it privately. I did it before and it took forever, so I want to trade in. (i know i'd get more if I sell privately but I just don't want the hassle).
I don't want to buy a new car either, loooking for something 2006, do garages accepts trade ins if you're buying a Used Car from them?
Thanks!

They do accept... as far as I know you get better value if you are trading the same brand the garage stocks - ie golf for newer golf

And shop around.
I was trading in this year and there was a difference of 3.5K (17.5 to 21)offered between garages on my car.

Thanks for the replies.
Am going to a garage tomorrow, so we'll see how I get on! !

Hi, A report I read somewhere stated that dealers have too many secondhand cars at present .so while you may get a reduction on the one you are buying, they dont really want another secondhand car unless they get a hefty profit on the overall deal

on the subject of trade ins,has anyone had dealings with auto image carlow,they seem very bad to deal with.are there any ,rate your car,dealer sites in ireland.

Levelpar is right, garages will run a mile from another trade in. Try selling the car using local ads and even reduce the price. The garages will give you next to nothing for it.

At the VW garage on Friday discussing buying a new VW Sharan, and asked him how much he would give me for my 07 Passat, and was told he would not take it at all as they had too many second hand cars.

At the VW garage on Friday discussing buying a new VW Sharan, and asked him how much he would give me for my 07 Passat, and was told he would not take it at all as they had too many second hand cars.

Wouldn't take an 07 vehicle??

Thats unreal. I could understand if it was an older car.

I was looking at a car today in a garage and I asked the salesperson what she would give me off for a straight cash purchase i.e. no trade in and she would only give me 600 euros off the list price.

I agree about not taking tade ins. Know someone in a Ford Garage who are not taking trade ins at the moment.

€600 Of List Price Is A Joke
Go Elsewhere

Agreed it is a joke. I thought she might have even gone to 800 or 900. Looking around their forecourt it was full up with cars. Seems like everything is at a go slow at the moment. I have a car that I could trade in but to be honest I think I will sell that privately first. I know it is taking a while to sell cars privately just by reading some of the posts on here but there is very little value in trading in a car to a garage at this particular time. I notice too while browsing carzone that a lot of garages have adverts for cars with the words straight sale only - no trade-ins. So they dont really want to bother taking them in.

Yes will have to sell the Passat independently. Not going to buy another brand new car either.

Brother was in Al Hayes' motors in Portumna (major VW dealers) and was looking at a Passat 06. Asked for price and salesman took out his used car list, quoted a price and said that there was no negotiation. He high tailed it rapid. The garages are still displaying some arrogance but they will eventually beg. See if they don't.