Tradesman request for payment

jim

Hi

We had an plumber out to do some repair work.

We didnt discuss costs up front or what work was required but he told me it would be a straight forward job to fix.

The work required idebtifying and then fixing a leak. It was just labour as i understand it. Two guys spent about 4 hours at my house and the cost was 350 excl vat. Is this reasonable enough?

He hasnt given me an invoice just bank details to pay him to. Should i not be getting an invoice?

Thanks.

Impossible to say without knowing exactly what was involved. But €350 for 8 person hours of skilled work (and maybe materials, it doesn't seem clear) doesn't sound completely crazy to me. Have you asked him for an invoice?

€350 for 8 tradesman hours is an absolute bargain. When we were building our house 25 years ago, our carpenter charged us IR£300 a day which wasn't even bad value at the time.

350 excl vat so whats that after vat 400? So €50 per tradesman hour. They were two young fellas just out of school so not experienced.

still a bit pricey i think.

I asked for invoice but aint got one. Should i inisist on 1 before payment?

350 excl vat so whats that after vat 400? So €50 per tradesman hour. They were two young fellas just out of school so not experienced.
If the job was done properly, it's pretty miserable to hassle them because they employ young lads.
I asked for invoice but aint got one. Should i inisist on 1 before payment?
If they're the same as most tradesmen, you won't get an invoice until you pay.

If the job was done properly, it's pretty miserable to hassle them because they employ young lads.

If they're the same as most tradesmen, you won't get an invoice until you pay.
Im not hassling them at all Terence. Why would you suggest that I am? Chill out man.

Im simply querying two things in this forum:

1. Is the fee reasonable.

Seems it may be based on the limited replies. Gives me some comfort but i still think its expensive but thats just my own sense of it.

2. Is it acceptable to not get an invoice before payment.

Why dont tradesmen provide an invoice up front when requesting payment?

Tradesmen.ie have handy guides they update from time to time. Note the hourly charges will be per person, with lower hourly rates for apprentices that assist.

Your price looks pretty good, but it's too late once the horse has bolted to question the state of the stable door.

No obligation but surely just:

A. Good practice and good manners
B. Professional
C. Transparent and fair

I don't think the price is too awful if the job is actually done right. I got plumbing work done years ago by two young lads working for the main plumber, felt I was babysitting they were so young! Anyways neither the sink nor the toilet they fitted ever worked right afterwards so I'd just be sure you were happy with the job before paying.

As for invoice once you have proof of payment on your side I'd be happy enough with that from a comeback point of view.

No obligation but surely just:

A. Good practice and good manners
B. Professional
C. Transparent and fair
You may well get an invoice from the plumber when you pay as noted by others. A lot of smaller tradesmen wouldn't be the most prompt with paperwork. I'm sure you could insist on getting an invoice before you pay and you'll probably get one but you may not get a call back the next time you're looking for a plumber.