Traded Car in over a year ago to garage, after getting two fines

carrieann

I was just wondering if I could have advise on the below.

May 07 I traded in my car to a well known car dealership. Signed off paper work, had no problems with the new car.

Then the other day, I got post, saying there had been two fines on my old car, for June of this year for not displaying tax or insurance in a public place, two €80 fines. I rang the fines department and explained that I had traded that car in over a year ago, she said that the car was still in my name, the dealership has since closed. So I contacted the ower and he says he still has the car but hasn't changed the owner ship, is this legal???I asked was he still driving around in it and he said no that it was just parked up

In the mean time I have been advised by the fines dept to go to a solictor and have an alfa david wrote up, more crap and more money.

So a bit of advise, you think because its a well known dealership, make sure you take the paper work and send it off yourself, Ive learnt from my mistakes.

My question is who will pay the fines, because Im not and thats for sure. And what if more fines come through the door, surely the gardas could call up to the owners address

Re: Traded Car in over a year ago to gargage, after getting two fines

Try putting the registration number in here and see if it comes up with something, you won't get details but it will let you know if and when it was passed on. With my old car I saw from this that the dealer I had sold it to sold it on to another dealer.

[broken link removed]

Re: Traded Car in over a year ago to gargage, after getting two fines

I am afraid this is a typical problem with trading in to garages. Many can't be arsed to send off the paperwork to Shannon. When trading in you should make it your business to send the completed paperwork yourself, never assume the garage will do it.

Back