Trade ins

Husssy

Hi all,
Out and about on fri looking to trade in 99 peug 206 for an 2004 1.4 petrol skoda octavia. Found octavia with only 17k mls up in mint condition. garage looked for 11k with our peugeot(said peug worth 3.5k). Heres the problem, got my father in law to ring garage this morn saying he was looking at a 2004 octavia no trade in, garage said they have octavia with 17k mls(car we looked at) for 12k!!! so in reality we are getting 1k on trade in for our peug. What should we do, love the car. Should i ring them straight out and say they are tryin to screw me and beat them down. Advise appreciated

Should i ring them straight out and say they are tryin to screw me and beat them down.
You can try doing that, but chances are they'll just agree that they are. They want to make a profit on trade ins so will offer as little a discount as they can. If they feel they may have trouble shifting the trade in they really will give a very small discount on it.

You'll usually work out far better selling a car privatly than using a trade in (but with the added hassle of having to advertise/take calls/show the car). If you are going down the route of trading in, be sure to get a cash price first so you know exactly what you are receiving for the trade. [Both points covered in lots of other AAM threads]

You might be better off buying the car straight and selling your own yourself. I was looking at trading in last year and met with a very decent sales man who informed me that what they do is sell on trade ins to smaller garages - non dealers so to speak. He informed me that they would only get about 1k for example, the garage guy would fix it up/service it and sell it on for about 2k allowing him to make a wee bit of profit. If your car is well serviced and in decent enough condition I'd sell it privately.I'd be looking at buying straight and beating him down from the 12k!!!!
The sales men just make it look like you are getting more for your car so as it looks like you are paying less and getting a good deal. IHope this helps.