Trade in value

SeanA

I am thinking about changing my car, I have a '03 Volvo S40 with 29k miles on the clock, leather seats, in good condition. I asked a particular garage in Terenure how much would I get off a new Hyundai Tuscon. They told me they would only offer €11k. Does anyone think this is fair? I'm looking for a fast sale and don't want to waste too much time. I checked CBG.ie anf they ranged in value from €12k to €18k. What should I really get.

In my recent experience the trade in value will be about €3k less than the open market value of your car. I would think that puts your car at 13.5k - 3k = 10.5k. But I am not a dealer.

Volvo,great car: crappy resale value!! I don't know why

Go up to EP Mooney who sell both Volvo and Hyundai (as well as Nissan and Honda). They should be able to give you a better deal as they can sell the Volvo off a Volvo forecourt. They're competitive in pricing as well - especially when pitched against another dealer's price...

Also, the Revenue have a market price guide which is used for VRT calculations. Its available on-line and bases its values on the actual selling price of models sold by dealers. The likes of CBG display asking prices only and this results in the wild variation that you saw.

i am looking to buy privately but can you sell your rather old car to a car dealer without using as a trade in, if you dont want to go through the hassle of selling privately on car zone etc

i appreciate will be very much at the mercy of getting a poor price but where would be the best to offload a 98 astra with pretty low mileage.

hey Jo90, would you believe i'm trying to sell a 03 renault megane privately and buy an older car aswell. Would you be interested in a megane?

Here is a bit of country mans way of trading, do the tour of all the dealers and ask them what they want with your car for a new Tuscon, but try the Sportage first, tell them its looking like the Sportage if they cant do better than that, it would be a pity not to be able to do the deal for what you really want but money talks.

thanks pikie but i already have a car in mind and agreed but dont know best way of getting rid of my own car for the best price since i am purchasing privately ... and appreciating that no dealers would really be that interesting in my 98 car !

If you check CBG it gives you the average price of what people advertise their cars for.

If you want to find out the actual open market value of your car, check out the VRT website as per the below link. You will find the Open Market Value of your car is approx 11k Euro.

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT