Trade-in Price vs Retail Price

trailblazer

hey all, when buying a new car recently I found that it was cheaper to buy without a trade-in than with one. The car I bought was advertised for 20kin the garage. When he realised that I hadn't a trade-in, he said that the advertised price was for with trade in and the "retail price" was actually 19k. Is that normal practice? I would never have known only I said 20k was too much....

I guess there is not definitive answer on the price? It's a pity, because somebody else could have come along without a trade-in and not known this...and get ripped off.

I guess there is not definitive answer on the price? It's a pity, because somebody else could have come along without a trade-in and not known this...and get ripped off.

It's not a rip-off and it makes perfect sense. Someone trading in will generally pay the full list price, while a 'cash customer' will usually get a discount. When giving the trade-in, the retailer has to make two sales in order to make their margin. Conversely, with a 'cash customer' it's a single clean transaction and the retailer takes their profit. When trading in the customer loses out on two fronts but it's their choice. They could achieve a higher price by selling their car privately and could get a discount by doing a straight deal for the new car.

I bought a car a few years ago from a garage - a second hand car - and when I asked him what he would do for me for cash and that I had no trade in the guy knocked a grand off the asking price.

I bought a new Toyota recently, list price €21,780 three of the five main dealers I tried immediately offered €20,000 when told I was shopping around and had no trade in. I bought off the one who offered quickest delivery for €19,900 and got full tank and mats thrown in.

yeah cash is king and Rambo is right..trade ins are hassel for the dealers so they incorporate into the retail price..sell it yourself