Trade in or sell privately - what to do?

JAM

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice, I am hoping to buy a new car soon, currently I have a 00 Fiat Brava, I know that the value of these are not going to be that high. Ideally we would like to sell it as that will bring in a bit more than trading it in, but I haven't a clue about the used car market at the moment (I'm a girl for a start!!!) do you think I stand a hope in hell of selling it privately or do you think I am better off just biting the bullet, going down the trading it in route and having to dig a bit deeper into my pockets for the new car?

Thanks CCOVICH, I guessed I should try, I have advertised it and we will see what happens. Although I have already had a phonecall from those scammers in the UK yesterday, guaranteeing me a buyer withn 7 days, I didn't even get to the stage where they tell me how much i have to pay them because I wasn't interested. It is so annoying though! My rant for the day over!!

If it is priced well it might sell privately. What milage is it, what price and is it clean? With average miles a clean 00' Brava 1.2 might get about 2500 to 2700 but not much more.

Thanks CCOVICH, I guessed I should try, I have advertised it and we will see what happens. Although I have already had a phonecall from those scammers in the UK yesterday, guaranteeing me a buyer withn 7 days, I didn't even get to the stage where they tell me how much i have to pay them because I wasn't interested. It is so annoying though! My rant for the day over!!

It's not that hard to sell a car, although there are plenty of second hand cars on the market these days so you have to be realistic about pricing.

Have a look at the Buy and Sell and any local For Sale papers. See what similar cars are advertised for. If you buy the papers over a few weeks, you start to build up a picture. Then put a good advert giving model, mileage, engine size, nct/tax, any extras, and the fact that the car has a lady owner, plus the expected price of course (again, be realistic about the price. people won't even phone if it looks even a little higher than the others).

Being a girl has nothing to do with it!

You can get a good guide price for a car with the Revenue valuation. Compare this to whats available through the likes of AutoTrader, etc etc and you should find a buyer for your car when its priced right.

Plenty of tips and advice around for selling a car. Do as much homework as you can so you feel happy doing it (everything from how to make the car look its best to the safest ways to recieve payment [and more importantly what kind of things to avoid doing!!!]).

At its most basic.... make sure its a public place with people around, bring a friend along.....
Not as important but worth thinking about...
make sure the car is as clean as possible, make sure you've set your BOTTOM line and don't go below this (remember, if you can convince them you wanted more than what you accept they leave thinking they got a great deal!) [do aim to get above your bottom line - if your bottom line is €2300 then aim to get €2600 and only drop as they walk away] and finally... try and enjoy it! (the money that is!)

Thanks guys,
I have it up on carzone, and it is due to go in the Buy&sell this weekend.
I am not being over optimistic on the price, I have put it up for €3250, but would be happy to get say €2750. It is in good condition and mileage is 67500, I have had it for 2 years, another lady owner previous to that and I have only put on about 5000 miles in the time I've had it.
Hopefully it will be exactly what somebody is looking for!
I have my heart set on a new car, probably the peugeot 207, I test drove that the other day and loved it.

If this is it then you should take a few more pictures so that people know what they are getting and are more willing to make the journey to view.
http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=491134

Might as well get your money's worth out of the cost of your carzone advert and weed out a few tyre kickers\time wasters at the same time.

Should have at least three pictures - both exteriors sides and one interior shot to show the interior is clean

Thats the boy!
I will put some more pics up, I agree about the interior. I will try and do that this evening.
I am dreaming of my new car at nights - so i had better do what I can to sell this one!

If you decide to trade the car to your local dealer: Don't forget about the no trade in discount (aka: cash price/ straight purchase price). A dealer might offer you E2,500 for the trade in, however you would have got E1000+ (depending on value your new purchase) off the price if you had no trade in. So in reality you would only get E1,500 for your car. You should try a few garages anyway and ask them what they will allow you on your trade in, then ask what they will allow off if you don't trade in. the difference between these figures is the trade price. If you think you can sell privately for a worthwhile amount more, then you know what to do.

Back