Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi L200, Nissan Navara or A.N. Other?

gocall01

I'm looking at the above in twin cab format with 2.5l diesel engine, 07/08 probably.
They all have the ability to carry a Euro-pallet with a tonne on it as far as I can tell.
Haven't looked at fuel comsumption but I imagine they are all similar.
Road driving comfort would also be important.

I am leaning towards 1 make at present but;
If anyone has any pro & cons on each machine or any alternatives I should consider please let me know.

Thanks in advance...

i own a 07 L200. overall quite happy with it. few teething problems. good looking machine but i have to say i find it very hard on fuel.. driving position is a massive improvement on the older models. plenty of room in the back seats also.

friend of mine has toyota hilux and i have to admit if i could turn back the clock i wud have bought one as well.......

I have a pal in the trade (non-franchised, mainly cars but some commercials / crew-cabs) and he refuses to sell or trade L200's and recommends the Hi-Lux all the time (from his point of view, margin is no different, but after-sales support effort apparently is). He doesn't allow Nissans within 5 miles of his property, apart from my new GT-R

I have a ford ranger which is great. Not particularly luxurious but comfortable and reliable.
The Navara is fine but the rear end is very twitchy especially in the wet.
Couldn't find a HiLux on budget when I was looking...

Plenty of room for 5 adults in the crew cab and reasonable fuel consumption.

Last edited:
Looked at them all including Izuzu D-Max and Ford Ranger. I would have gone for the Ranger purely on the space and comfort levels in them.
Had older L200 for weekend as a tester and hated it, no room for passengers and skippy at the back with no load, put load - no diesel!!
My experience of Nissan is cheap and cheerful at the price of a good vehicle & very thirsty.
If buying now - would go for Hilux. Brother in law has one and got it chipped, lovely! Very comfy to drive and carries a capable load also (was same pre-chipping just not as quick or fuel economical). Seems to be good deals by Toyota on the commercials too.
Good luck which ever you choose!

Thanks for all the replies.
There is some food for thought there.
I suppose a few test drives are in order and some haggling to see the what the final decision with entail.

I will rarely be carrying the full load but when I do it will need to be able for it size and weight-wise.
Therefore, as it will be travelling unloaded the majority of the time road handing will be important.
The twitchy back end is something I had not considered and finding one in budget will be the trick!