Toyota Corolla vs. Ford Focus

elainem

I have an 06 Avensis but I want to change to a diesel in Jan 07, either a Corolla 1.4 diesel or a Ford Focus 1.6 diesel. I am changing because I have moved to the midlands and am commuting to Dublin. I estimate I will have done about 25,000 miles by Jan 07. I have two young children, so I need a reliable but also safe car. I would appreciate any advice on either the Corolla diesel or Ford Focus diesel.

Thanks a lot.

The corolla 1.4 d4d will give you a 1,000 km per tank of diesel - will be more reliable and have a higher resale value afterwards. 3 yr warranty comes with it and 3 yr road side assistance compared to 2 yrs with the ford.

Not much in it - Both are good cars.
Toyota narrowly ahead for reliability and resale. Focus just ahead on for performance and mpg.
Toyota is 1.4 so less tax. Littel or no difference in terms of insurance though. The one clear difference is driving dynamics. The focus is a far better car to drive. It comes down to personal preference.

soy said:
Toyota narrowly ahead for reliability and resale. Focus just ahead on for performance and mpg.
Corolla does 64 miles to the gallon, so it's ahead of the focus on mpg.

soy said:
Not much in it - Both are good cars.
Toyota is 1.4 so less tax. Littel or no difference in terms of insurance though. The one clear difference is driving dynamics. The focus is a far better car to drive. It comes down to personal preference.

A very fair assessment I think.

Focus is available in 90/110 bhp 1.6 TDCi engines. Go for the 110bhp version.

p.s. A Corolla will not do 64 mpg in the real world. Get real.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the Focus come TDI as standard. Therefore a 1.6 diesel is much more powerful than the corrola. If there is little difference in the price then I would recommend the focus. I drive one and they are very comfortable.

Downhill and in neutral perhaps.

I've read some road tests. Enough said.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm leaning more towards the Corolla, but I have a concern re. safety - I know the Corolla has only four airbags, compared to nine in the Focus - I have two small children and safety is of major importance - Does anyone know what the ncap rating is for both cars, and which car do you think is better in terms of safety? Do the amount of airbags matter? Economy is important to me, but safety even more so. I would appreciate your advice yet again.

Corolla is an older design, is made of tin cans, looks dodgy, and handles like a dipso after a bottle of tawny wine.

Very economical though apparently.

I will bet you a tenner u don't get 64 mpg in your corrolla. I bet you are about 20% out, and you're still doing very well at that.

I'm getting an average of 57 with a mix of town/rural driving,4 year old , 55,000 kms on clock, sweet as a nut, first set of michelins very near to 47,000k. service costs around €150 once every 9,000 ( I always let it go to the 10,000) and bar the tyres/servicing havent spent a penny on it. Focus are also a good car though.

Back