Toyota Avensis - Problem starting in cold weather

tweety07

I have a 2010 Avensis Diesel 2L which I've had since Jan 2013. The problem is I find it very hard to start it in the cold weather, it drives without any problem whatsoever in the hot/mild weather but the minute the weather gets any bit cold it's a struggle to start it. It obviously is harder the start the colder it is.

It even struggled to start this morning and it was 8degrees outside. Can anyone help me was to what this is?

P.S. Have taken it back to the Main Dealer twice and they found nothing wrong and also took it to a local mechanic who said the same thing.

Are you letting the orange coil symbol go out before trying to start the car? You need to do this. Otherwise you might just need a new battery. Perhaps it has been run flat previously? Batteries are less effective at lower temperatures.

Michael,

Thanks for replying.

I do let that light go off before I start it, it has never been let run flat in my time anyway unless it was previously, what amazes me is that a Main Dealer isn't picking up anything?? or mechanic. Bearing in mind it's just the first start of the day it starts no problem after this.

Maybe a mechanic on AAM can suggest something . . I get the fuel filter replaced on each service as this is important on diesels. If it were me I'd chance a new battery.

Need to get the glow plugs checked which I assume the mechanics did. It could also be something like the coolant temp sensor where the car is being fooled to the conditions and may be providing too little or too much air or fuel etc.

It would be worth getting the engine codes and some live data from the engine management unit read but again I would have expected mechanics to do that.

Service history of the car is also important.

Let the glow plug light go out, switch the ignition off and on again. Try starting as soon as glow plug light goes out again. Often works if glow plugs can't provide enough heat in one cycle.

Back