Toyota Avensis or Ford Focus ?

ice

Hi

Looking to change our car ...currently have a '97 corolla which I hope to sell privatly for about 2K. Don't want to spend more than 8K in total on the new car.

Looking for a reliable car with a bit of boot space(have two children) but no bigger than a 1.6 engine (to save on tax, insurance and petrol).

Really like the avensis but would the focus be cheaper to run ..

Any other alternatives ?
Cheers

The ford is a little heavier on the juice that the toyota. Avensis is a bigger car it's in the class with the Mondeo and the focus is in with the corolla. If your going with 1.60in both the Avensis would re-sell quicker as the 1.4 in the focus is the best seller. The focus gives a bit more trouble with rusty back box, wheel bearings, front links, coils and horns go for sport. The toyota would just be service items really, sometimes prob with imob. If it were me I'd buy the avensis your prob looking around '01 for that sort of money so it is the face lift model aswell.

Thanks for the reply MR2.

I see a lot of Avensis 2.0L diesel engines for sale.

How would this compare to the 1.6 petrol ?

Would the petrol be more economical ? are there any advantages to the Diesel ?

Thanks

What sort of milage are you doing? You would want to be doing 20,000 mls a year to keep a dsl running prop. If your doing small milage there only economical for a while then they clog up and run very poor. That d4d engine in that model is very noisy also if your doing a lot of small runs but you wont really notice if say you were in town driving a lot coz the city is so noisy. That dsl engine will go forever if minded and driven right.

Go for the toyota. I guarantee you would be back at the garage with the focus a lot more times than with the avensis. The petrol versions are quiet and economical. If you are looking for a car of focus size, then why not a corolla. Very reliable cars and cheap to run. I have a corolla and have had no problems. Had one before that as well and not even a rattle after 109000 miles. Would have done the same again no probs.

well said i will second that, i have drove a ford focus before and had a fair bit of trouble with it, friends also had the same problem with their focus, always something appeared to go wrong with the focus.I wouldnt buy another Ford Focus
2 other family members have toyotas and swear by them (as do every toyota owner in think ).. never hear of any major problems with them

What sort of milage are you doing?

Only about 12K a year so like you say the petrol is probably the one to go for....

The ones I've been looking at have around 60-70 K on the clock, year 2001..is this too high a milage ?

Would I be better to spend a bit more to get a lower millage? (although would prefer to stick around the 8,000 euro mark)

60-70 would be normal for year in a petrol, You know your self just make sure it's not been abused, drive and check for rattles, bodywork and state of interior. Engine are pretty good in them just keep some where between 1/4 litter and 1/2 litter extra oil in the engine at all times and she wont burn as much as you hear other vvti engines doing. It's a good buy.

Thanks for all your help...picked up the Avensis at the weekend and am delighted with it .....