Toyota Avensis 1.6 VVT-i v. Ford Focus 1.6 VCT ?

GeneralZod

Any opinions on the relative merits of these two?

I prefer the look of the Avensis but perhaps the model is getting a bit old.

Is the Focus (4 door) a better drivers car?

Which is likely to get a better trade in value in three years if bought new.

Both are good. The Avensis is in a bigger class (comparable to a Mondeo).

You cannot get the VCT engine in a 4 door Focus. The Focus will be a better handling car.

how can anyone like the look of an Avensis over a Focus?

I would say both would hold their value better and I imagine the 1.6 Avensis slightly better. A 1.4 Focus, simply because of its size would be a better resaler than a 1.6, but I would have a 1.6 anyday.

Try and get a drive in both cars.The 1.4 Focus is a slug the 1.6 is much better but not a patch on toyotas vvti engine.Never a problem selling either cars in a few years time,the toyota a bit easier than the focus I'd imagine

The Avensis is a class above the Focus, both in size and comfort and will hold its value the best of the 2 without doubt. The only issue is the engine size, a 1.6L in the Avensis will feel slow (and be thirsty), the Focus will feel faster because it has less weight to haul. If you want a sportier drive the Focus is the car but if comfort, space abd resale are your priorities then buy the Avensis.

Thanks for the responses. The ford web site says I can get the 1.6 Ti-VCT in the four dour version with Ghia trim.

I take the point about the Avensis being in a higher class but I'm comparing on price and they seem similar on that.
I'm worried about the 1.6 in the Avensis being too anemic. The smallest engine in the Avensis for the UK market is 1.8.

I'm also now thinking of the VW Jetta 1.6 FSI Sport, which I think is the best looking of the three.

Thanks for the responses. The ford web site says I can get the 1.6 Ti-VCT in the four dour version with Ghia trim. Correct (mea culpa) - but Ghia spec. isn't attractive currently. A Zetec Connection is much better value but no TI- VCT is available. The 100bhp 1.6 is well up to the job however.

I take the point about the Avensis being in a higher class but I'm comparing on price and they seem similar on that.
I'm worried about the 1.6 in the Avensis being too anemic. The smallest engine in the Avensis for the UK market is 1.8. Correct. I have a borrowed 1.4 Focus for a few days and it's very lethargic. A 1.6 Avensis is similar.

I'm also now thinking of the VW Jetta 1.6 FSI Sport, which I think is the best looking of the three. VW's are largely perceived to be quality vehicles with excellent reliability. Reality doesn't back this up.

I'm also now thinking of the VW Jetta 1.6 FSI Sport, which I think is the best looking of the three.

Easily the focus. The Avensis is a bit of an old man's car. The Jetta is even worse. Not many Jettas on the road. They are over priced and dull to look at compared to the Golf or Passat. Go for the Focus. You will always be sorry if you don't. On the resale question there will hardly be a huge difference in depreciation between all three.

Back