Toyota Avensis 04

wino

Hi,

my Toyota Avensis is having starting problems. Toyota garage reckons it's the starting motor and they wiil kindly replace it for 800 euro!!. Another mechanic reckons it's a clutch issue, 1500 euro-happy days!!
I have to keep the key turned untill it starts and it can shudder quite a bit in doing so, most of the time they're are no problems and starts willthout fail.
It's a 2 litre diesel with 136k on the clock. Has anybody had the same problem.

Wino

€800 for a starter Motor :eek:
Its a 04 its 6 years old you need to stop going to Main dealer, (my opinion other WILL disagree).

You can pick up a Recon starter motor for €100 if you look around. do google you will find a few. even eBay there are loads for even less than that. dont be put off if they dont deliver to ireland. Organise your own courier should be about €22 delivered. any big/or small garage will fit a starter motor for you in less than 30 mins. at 35-50€ an hour.

but TBH your problem need to be definite first before you go swapping parts will nilly. Perhaps you could give a more detailed description of the problem.

+1 stay away from the garages you have mentioned sounds like ripoff to me. 800 for a starter is insane.

Get more opinions..

Go to a dececnt independant.

Thanks for all your advice and sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
The car seems fine this week, it's only noticeable first thing in the morning. If I don't keep the key turned untill it starts, trying it a second time seems to just about get it started. The battery is only new, the car gets serviced regularly so I doubt if it's the glow plugs,is there a way of measuring the strength or power of a starter motor before I go and try and buy one?

Wino

glow plugs are generally only changed when they are gone not like spark plugs.

This is relatively easy for a mechanic to check. Just disconnect the top of the glow plug and run a decent weight piece of wire from the positive of the battery. If you get a spark they are good and heating. No spark means a bad glow plug.

Back