Town Plan query

Kelmar

An uncle of mine has a farm on the edge of a town and is considering selling it as he is about to retire. The development plan for the town runs out in 2011 and in it the land adjoining and across the road from my uncles is currently zoned as development. Recently a small field close to my uncles (belonging to a neighbour) sold for $1.5m as it was zoned as development.

How would he find out whether or not his land could be rezoned in the next development plan? He has no experience in this area and has asked me to help but I know nothing about how this works either. How are rezoning decisions made and who makes them (is it councillors or town planners or politicans) Do people lobby if so who do they lobby. Are there consulting firms that could help with this?

Any advice would be appreciated

Firstly, nothing can happen until work starts on the new development plan...

You/He needs to lobby local councillors... they are the ones who proposed lands for zoning. He could always hire a planning consultant to prepare a submission as well. But, as i say, it can only happen when work begins on drafting a new local area plan. generally work on the new plan could start 2 years before the expiry of the previous one...

Back