Touring & Accommodation Canada, BC and Alberta

hamcloughlin

Our family (3 daughters 12, 10, 5) are travelling to Vancouver on 8 July for 8 nights, then fly to Edmonton on 16 July. Spending few nights in Edmonton and then 10 days touring from Banff to Jasper and back to Edmonton for flight home on 29 July. Flights and car hire are booked but no accommodation. Children would like outdoor pool but not much available. Not sure how long to spend in Vancouver city - need good accommodation in the city and some ideas of other places to stay in the area - happy to drive! Suggestions of cabin or similar accommodation in Banff, Jasper also welcome. Thanks

Vancouver is in a spectacular location, but the city centre area isn't great, though really nice areas around the waterfront. I think 8 days would be too long in the city itself, go up to Whistler for mountain activities, or go to the southern gulf islands (eg. salt spring), or take a flight over to Vancouver Island on a seaplane which is really nice [broken link removed].

For swimming Whistler has a few big lakes which are great for swimming, and it'll be nice & warm in July.
Re. Edmonton - I don't know why you're spending any time there, maybe you've friends there. I'd spend all my time in the Rockies, & if you end up with time on your hands, go visit Eastern BC - Nelson, Revelstoke etc. - spectacular country & lots of hot springs in that area for a soak.

When flying to Vancouver from the east, try and get a seat on the right of the plane so you can see north to the Rockies & the North Shore mountain ranges.

once you get into Alberta away from mountains it is Goddamm flat, and I mean flat for miles. I didn't visit Edmonton but from what I have been told there is nothing there but one of the biggest shopping malls in the world that you can go surfing in.
Agree with idea of heading over to Vancouver Island for couple of days then head upto Whistler and beyond, mountains are not that big but still beautiful views.

definitely visit the West Edmonton Mall. Remember that Edmonton is split into uptown and down town via a river. Try looking at [broken link removed]

Your daughters will probably like the mall. Biggest in the world and there's an ice rink in it.
I just remembered - THE CALGARY STAMPEDE ! Now that would be great to see (haven't seen it myself). Leave your 3 daughters in the Edmonton mall, then drive down to Calgary for a few days, buy some stetson boots & party.

http://calgarystampede.com/

PS. Why did you book a flight to Edmonton if you're going to have to drive 5 hours back up from Banff, surely flying Vancouver to Calgary, then drive up into Banff - Jasper & fly out of Edmonton would mean a lot less backtracking.

Have sister and her family in Edmonton, hence the visit there. They are also coming to Banff. Had been thinking of visiting Whistler anyway, so I will def check it out now. Thanks for all the comments.