Toshiba A100-147 Laptop - Opinions

lemeister

Looking for opinions on this laptop which is available in PC World for €749
Seems a good spec for the price to me but just want to be sure I'm not missing something obvious.
I'll be using the laptop for surfing, some office work (Excel and Access), and occasionally for watching DVD's. Storage isn't too important as I have a PC and will also be getting an external HDD. I don't intend playing any graphic intensive games neither.

It's not bad at all (especially the £599/€749 FX rate!), but for only a tenner more [broken link removed] looks slightly better, especially as a multimedia machine (see the [broken link removed] .pdf download) — and comes with a three-year warranty.

Thanks for that. It does look a bit better alright. Unfortunately for me tho I was hoping to make use of PC Worlds 12 months interest free option!
Also just noticed that it's a core solo processor but it's ready to update to Vista. I thought that for Vista, you had to have a duo processor??!

Last edited:
well, I bought one of those Toshiba A100-147's late last year and it's great. I've also received my Vista upgrade but I haven't loaded it yet..

so yes, I can certainly recommend the A100-147..

I would personally buy a Toshiba over a Medion any day of the week. Toshiba are a highly reputable electronics company. Medion????

I would personally buy a Toshiba over a Medion any day of the week. Toshiba are a highly reputable electronics company. Medion????

My own (limited) experience is the opposite -- have seen far more problems with Toshiba. I've also had better experiences with Aldi than PC World when returning products.

There are only a handful of laptop manufacturers in the world -- brand-names manufacturers subcontract to an assembly facility, and it could be a different one for each model. The pool for components is similarly small, so that buying a brand name doesn't buy you very much in a commodity business.

my thoughts exactly. wouldn't waste my cash on a cheap and nasty laptop from ALDI.

Did you read MugsGame's post? Open most laptops and lay out the components and you'll usually be hard pressed to identify which bit came from the big name brand and which from the less well known brand. Anyway Medion are a pretty big name in Germany parts of the rest of the EU and elsewhere as far as I know. And the standard support that comes with Lidl/Aldi PC and electronics gear is pretty good if I recall correctly. Of course each to their own and if some people are happy to spend extra just for the comfort of a big name brand on a box full of commodity components then that's their prerogative. What's the old saying about the sort of person who is easily parted from his money?

eh, I'm no fool. maybe you're the type who'd buy a Hyundai Accent over a VW Golf because apparently it performs better in reliability polls.