toshiba 32c3030d and the picture through ntl digital is slightly blurred.

naheem

Hello

I have just bought a toshiba 32c3030d and the picture through ntl digital is slightly blurred. Is this the norm with lcd's or any hints on how to improve it. Also there is an audible buzz from the tv is this normal

thanks

you need to do a search for av forums and then read all abouit your telly.

noah

Hello

I have just bought a toshiba 32c3030d and the picture through ntl digital is slightly blurred. Is this the norm with lcd's or any hints on how to improve it. Also there is an audible buzz from the tv is this normal

thanks

The audible buzz that you refer to can be reduced by turning down the backlight setting. The default setting is 100. Refer to your user manual on how to do this. In terms of picture, you should ensure that you have good quality cables going from you NTL box to your TV. I invested in the Monster brand, which claims to reduce Radio Frequency interference, thus improving picture and sound quality. The results were very pronounced, and I would highly recommend them.
In terms of picture quality, many people have been disappointed with LCD technology in terms of the picture quality from Standard Definition (e.g your NTL box) sources. Some people prefer SD images on CRT TVs (i.e older TVs). All LCD TVs come into their own when fed with HD sources, e.g. HD DVD, BLU Ray, or at the very least images from a cheaper upscaling DVD player.
My advice is to do all you can to improve the quality of the SD signals into the TV. Optimising cable quality will help significantly.
By the way I have the same TV and only bought it because of the consistent high reviews it received. It outscored most models on spec. and price. It's a top set so don't despair! Just get the feed right!

thanks for the feed back gebbel, will play with the settings this evening, what kind of money are you talking about for the monster cables

I bought in Harvey Norman. I paid €105 for it, which is expensive. I don't regret it though. You route your NTL cable through it (instead of directly into your NTL box.)

Sorry for being a bit dumb gebbel, but your link suggests it's like a surge protector rather than a scart/analog cable. Does the quality of the electrical power really make a difference? Just wondering as I have similar problems with my Tosh 32wl66 and NTL DVR...

Hi Moe,

Yes, it's a surge protector, but it also filters "dirty" AC noise that has a negative effect on picture quality. The cable is routed through it. I was sceptical at first but I believe it makes a difference. As I was advising the OP, anything that optimises the SD signal will improve quality, and this device will help in this regard. I am happy I bought it. My SD picture with the same TV is excellent.

Thanks Gebbel. I may give it a try once I convince myself to spend the cash! Oh for a decent signal from NTL (HD would be nice too!)

Yeah Moe, HD is the business. I invested €275 in a HD DVD player and it's the perfect complement to the LCD TV. Watching Planet Earth HD DVD today, and I cannot imagine that the image quality will ever be improved on. Jaw dropping stuff.

I have just bought a toshiba 32c3030d and the picture through ntl digital is slightly blurred. Is this the norm with lcd's or any hints on how to improve it. Also there is an audible buzz from the tv is this normal thanks
Certainly check that thr AV cable is well fitted. Also check in the setup menu on the NTL box that you're using RGB mode. If the NTL box is sending 'composite' video, that's not as sharp as RGB.

Finally, with NTL, 'digital quality' does not always mean 'good quality'. Some of their channels are heavily compressed. Use RTE as your guide, it gets more bandwidth than some of the others.

Back