Toronto in August

Has anyone been to Toronto in August and if so , is it very hot???

Onway,
It can be quite hot in early August but cools down towards the end. When are you going? The really really (+35 degrees) is usually the first two weeks of August but if you're staying/visiting the city most places will be air conditioned. It's the humidity that's the killer.
ad

I'm going in June will it be nice enough then? Have 5 nights in Toronto and 1 night in cheesy Niagara.
I really want to do the Maid of the Mist so hopefully there will be a bit of good weather.
Can anyone recommend things to do/see in Toronto? And as a woman, what is the shopping like?

Mrs Mac,
You should expect lovely warm, but not too hot weather in June. I'm looking at going to Niagara Falls for a couple of days this summer and saw a walk you can take behind the falls that looked different. Toronto is a great big city with loads to shopping; you won't run out of places to shop there. There's a lost a number of shows that are popular to see. And there's always the CN tower and the lake front to explore. One place worth stopping at between Toronto and Niagara Falls is Niagara on the Lake which is a lovely and popular spot, also if you like wine the Niagara Peninsula is a popular place for wine making.
ad

I lived in Canada for a summer & found the waether to be pleasantly warm from June to August, with August being the hottest. At no point was it anywhere near unbearable. The city has plenty of lovely chilled malls, coffee shops, bars & subway stations to escape to if the heat gets too much !

The places to check out are Bloor st for your high end fashion - Prada, Chanel , Holt Renfrew and then Young St at the Eaton Centre for all your Canadian highstreet brands. There is also a big shopping centre, called the Red Square out on the subway. I can remember where now, but the map is here and its a great , easy system to use

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/pdf/subway_rt.pdf

I worked down at the lake/harbourfront & may be a little biased when I say its the nicest part of the city. Head down on a Saturday for markets & great atmosphere & get out on a boat trip.

Toronto really is amazing, I hope you enjoy your time there !

I have spent 5 summers in Toronto. August is hot & humid. Worst Summer month - only go if you must. Many of the locals who can afford it head off to the lake cottages mostly Muskoka area .Toronto is great but not in August or mid winter.

If you can get outside the city Vaughn Mills shopping centre is fantastic, especially for hot humid days when you need a break from the heat. There's a cool shop there called Bass Pro Outdoor with everything from a shooting game to $40,000 boats inside it, plus plenty of proper shops, huge La Senza store, and i think there's go karting in there too. I was there August 2005 for the last two weeks and the heat was unbelievable every day, the humidity takes a bit if getting used to so air conditioned places are heaven. Oh and the best place for any girl to go is the Bata Shoe Museum, it's in downtown Toronto, don't know exactly where but it's only a few minutes by Train from Union Station. If you're looking for food in Niagara Falls there's a fantastic buffet place straight across from the top of the falls, closes at 3 but definitely a place to go

August can be hot, no doubt about it.

If you're doing to CN Tower, I highly recommend booking in for dinner in the . The food was very good and plentiful (we went for the fixed menu, and were stuffed to the gills after the three courses), and the restaurant gives a great revolving view (we got through a little more than one rotation in our meal there). It also includes access to the glass floored deck below.

I have been in Toronto in August/Septmeber a few times (I have family over there) and while it is quite warm and sometimes quite humid, it is not unbearably hot.

CN Tower is a must; I know that Niagara is cheesey but you really do want to do all the touristy stuff there e.g. Maid of the Mist. One day should be enough though.

I would second the Eaton Centre, a hell of a lot of shops under one roof and prices much cheaper than home. Also anything you bring back home with a value of CN$200 or greater, you can claim tax back at the airport.