Too many laptops for wireless?

onekeano

Got wireless connection into the house about 6-9 months ago and it worked perfectly. Have a desktop on pretty much all the time but recently the number of laptops in the house has increased to 3 and I'm finding that the wireless connection seems to be dropping far more frequently - is this as a result of the extra machines pulling from the same source?

Any advice appreciated.

Roy

Plot thickens!!! - freqency of signal dropping is increasing but the really weird thing I'm experiencing is that some websites work fine (eg. AAM and say www.three.ie) but others such as google / rte.ie etc etc don't work.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Roy

I experienced this with 2 laptops in my house with the same router. Both hi spec machines with the same intel wireless chipset, one running win2k the other winxp. They had both been fine but then the WinXp one started to drop connections. I had the 2 of them beside each other with one showing 54 mbps and the other at 10mbps.
I updated the chipset drivers on the XP machine to the latest from intels support site and it solved the problem.

The only thing I could think of was that right before it started to drop connections an automatic windows update had run on the XP machine, so although I couldnt find any reports of this causing conflicts with the intel drivers, I cant see how it could have been anything else.

Try kismet if you think it might be something else.

whizzbang said:
do you have a cordless phone? sometimes they interfere with Wifi.
Unlikely I'd say. See here.

What do you mean by the "wireless connection dropping"? The wireless connection from one laptop to the router? Or all laptops to the router? Or from the router to the broadband router (or is it all in one?)? Or the broadband connection itself? Have you checked the relevant logs (e.g. laptop Windows Event Log, wireless router admin log, broadband router logs etc.)?

The [broken link removed] (this model being to only one supported, AFAIK) has a problem up through the 1.00.6 firmware release with mixing 802.11G and 802.11B devices. Apparently, when 'G' connections are active and a 'B' device joins the segment, it is goodness. But is a 'B' device is active and a 'G' device joins, the 'B' device connection gets dropped.

More Linksys fun 'n games!

Is your wireless network (I refuse to use the term wifi :)) secured? Could be some of your neighbours are sapping your bandwidth!

ClubMan said:
Unlikely I'd say. See here.
True, it depends on the phone, do you have any cordless phones? if so what type. Bear in mind it might be a neighbours cordless if you live in an apartment block!

I reckon that Maxi is on the most promising track above regarding the router's firmware and problems with dual 802.11b/g usage.

Back