Tony, Ian and Bertie: What do they know that we don't?

Welfarite

They must know something that we don’t. I wish they would tell us. I’m talking about the likes of Tony Blair, Ian Paisley and Bertie Ahern, of course. These three wise men have decided to pull the plug on their political careers, take the money and run, flush the rest of their lives down the toilet….whatever way you want to look on it, they’ve decided to go in some way or other.

What is it that they know? Is there an impending disaster due to global warming? Are we about to be hit by a meteor? Is Mugabe going to take over the world? Or, worst of all, is Hilary Clinton going to win the presidential election?

Last edited:
I think it's 'smile fatigue' - Tony and Bertie: well known grinners who obviously just couldn't do it any more. Ian has only started smiling recently of course, but it's a younger man's game and he mustn't have put in the training - it all just got too much for him.

And who have we got now? Cowan, Brown & probably Robinson - you see? all confirmed sour-faces...

They must know something that we don’t. I wish they would tell us. I’m talking about the likes of Tony Blair, Ian Paisley and Bertie Ahern, of course.

Blair is gone a bit loopy....must have been too long in the job looking over his shoulder, on call 24/7, worried when the next terrorist attack will be etc. Paisley is in his eighties- I am sure when you or me are in our eighties we would like to retire too. And as for Bertie - sure if you had a guaranteed state pensiion and perks worth hundreds of thousands per year ( more than any other elected person in the world gets on retirement ) would you not retire too ?

In fairness they all put in long long stints and as we know all political careers end in failure.

So its just a co-incidence that a few indivudal numbers came up at the same time.

And as for Bertie - sure if you had a guaranteed state pensiion and perks worth hundreds of thousands per year ( more than any other elected person in the world gets on retirement ) would you not retire too ?
what perks does Bertie get in addition to his pension?

Won't he have a "Company" car plus driver for life?
Yes. Tis enough to get him between the freebie invites to things, his local for de pint of de auld bass and his mates for a few more dig outs.