Tom Waits on sale today

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I am waiting for Ticketmaster and I get this message:

The Tom Waits Tour will be subject to new anti-touting plans. Therefore, the following rules will be in place:

Tickets are strictly limited to two(2) per person.
Please ensure that the credit card used to purchase tickets belongs to the person who is attending the show.
On entry to the venue all patrons MUST present a valid I.D. (Passport or Driving Licence) matching the name on the ticket(s) in order to gain entry to the venue. Failure to provide matching valid I.D will result in you not gaining access to the event.
If you purchase two tickets, both patrons must be present at time of entry to the venue. All tickets will be scanned for validation on entry to the show.
Any tickets resold will be refused entry to the venue. No resale allowed under any circumstances.
Only tickets purchased from official Ticketmaster outlets will be valid.
Tickets are non-transferable.
Tickets will not be dispatched until 2 weeks before the event.

Re: Tom Waits going on sale in 5 minutes

It's great, but does that mean that I have to name the person I am going with now? What if they can't make it?

Brendan

No, purchaser's name will appear on both tickets.

that was hard work. I had three people ringing and logging on for 15 minutes and we kept getting "These tickets are not available"

Eventually, I got them.

These new rules are great.

Brendan

These new rules are great.

You may not think so when the date swings around and you find it overlaps with some othere commitment. You won't even be able to swap or give the tickets away to a friend, let alone sell for face value!

These new rules are great

Agreed - makes it harder if there's three of you going to a fully seated gig though. However, at least the tickets lasted longer than 5 minutes

Got mine as well - although I rang Aiken (the promoter) last week to check out the anti-tout thing (which is great, the gig was a prime one for touts to rip off), and they said Ticketmaster would be looking for a passport / driving licence number when booking. To my eyes, it was like booking any other gig, although I got two tickets - my guests name was not asked for, so in thoery you could bring a stand-in?

But what if you're buying tickets as a present for somebody, your name will be on them as you've bought them, but then you might not necessarily be going? how does this new rule work then?

On entry to the venue all patrons MUST present a valid I.D. (Passport or Driving Licence) matching the name on the ticket(s) in order to gain entry to the venue.

I can see a few problems with this.

Unless Aiken Promotions are investing massively in extra door staff, the cross-checking of tickets against ID will surely mean delays and queues at the doors of the venue.

And I'm not sure how wise it is to ask people to routinely bring their passports to concerts, especially if they are having a few refreshments afterwards.

they said Ticketmaster would be looking for a passport / driving licence number when booking.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I would be quite worried about the privacy implications of giving my passport or driving licence number over the phone to a Ticketmaster operative or anyone else.

My problem would be much more basic - €100+ for a bloody ticket! No thanks...

My problem would be much more basic - €100+ for a bloody ticket! No thanks...

Yeah, agreed, only €55 to see him State side. But all concerts in Ireland seem to attract a huge premium - overheads, insurance, cost of fish, bla bla or whatever excuse promoters seem to come up with.

But then again it is Tom Waits....

But all concerts in Ireland seem to attract a huge premium - overheads, insurance, cost of fish, bla bla or whatever excuse promoters seem to come up with.

VAT is the newest one

I think that Askaboutmoney might become a lot more sociable as a result of this change.

Instead of the message "Two tickets for sale...". It will be "I have a spare ticket for Concert X - would anyone like to go with me? ".

There are downsides to the anti-touting rule, but the upsides outweigh them.

Brendan

Oh sorry - I didn't actually bother searching. I just thought if I posted here somebody else would do it for me. Thanks.