Tolerance of "cranky"/"protective" dogs diminished??

Betsy Og

Heard of a dog that may be on death row for snapping at (not biting) a delivery guy. Normal breed, medium size dog, not rotweiler, pit bull, doberman, alsation etc. Seems the owner explained how the dog can bark agressively at strangers, maybe bare teeth.

Is it just me or does that sound like standard practice from a dog?? When I were a lad most dogs in my area would chase you as you cycled by, there wouldnt have been a dog in the parish if the above rules applied.

So is a dog dangerous if snaps at a stranger???, personally I'd only be inclined to get rid if bit stranger and/or snapped at people it knows and looks like might bite people it knows. Has tolerance of dogs fallen?, are people a bit 'oversensitive'?? I know you get horror stories of kids attacked but from what I recall these were 'dangerous' breeds or jelous terriers attacking babies.

Any views??

I know I have very little tolerance of dogs as had a few scares as a child.

I remember a dog who lived near us as a child (a kerry blue) who we were terrified to pass as he used to stand on his wall and follow us barking but didn't leave his garden. I wouldn't have minded having the power then to have this dog put down as it was so aggressive and the wall wasn't fenced in so we were only going on his not ever having attacked someone but there was there potential IYKWIM. There was nothing keeping this dog in. I think all barking or aggressive behaviour from a dog should not be tolerated unless on a leash or a guard dog and fenced in completely with a sign stating as such.

fobs said:
I think all barking or aggressive behaviour from a dog should not be tolerated unless on a leash or a guard dog and fenced in completely with a sign stating as such.

I'll second that.

Was in a friends house last night and her dog was going mad - barking at me and trying to jump up. (Probably just being friendly, but I'd rather it ignored me) She thought it was funny but I was very uncomfortable and couldn't stay more than half an hour. So I can empathise with the delivery person. I don't think its unreasonable to expect dogs to be kept under control.

Is there not an element of "what would you expect from a pig but a grunt", and likewise dogs bark, thats what they do??

While the public deserve protection and dogs shouldnt be prowling outside their owners territory, shouldnt someone entering your property be prepared to put up with being barked at??

I dont have a dog but I'd nearly be reluctant to get one if those standards are being demanded - in my case am not on a street so any member of the public interacting with the dog would/should be on my property.

p.s. Is this the itinerant thread??, its been moved on a couple of times already. ;-)

"While the public deserve protection and dogs shouldnt be prowling outside their owners territory, shouldnt someone entering your property be prepared to put up with being barked at??"

Why should I put up with it? I was an invited guest, invited by someone whose known me since chilhood and who knows I don't like being around dogs. If I was a vegetarian and she invited me for a meal would you expect me to eat meat because its her preference?

To many people, dogs are a nuisance. Personally, I don't mind once they are on a lead when out and about. I know lots of people get great pleasure from them. But when I'm out walking, I respect others by listening to music via headphones - dog owners should have the same respect for others by having their dogs on a lead.

And they should clean up after them!!!!!!

agreed, if your friend knew you were coming and that you didnt like dogs on the loose then the dog should be tied up in consideration for you, and if the dog was free when you arrived you could wait in the car for the 20 seconds to tie up the dog.

But, if someone rolls into my yard unannounced & the dog (if I had one) barks at them, I wouldnt automatically reach for my 12 guage (again, if I had one).

In consideration for my having a dog Joe Public should be prepared to wait while I control it, on my property, if they have a problem with dogs. On public propety the onus is on me to have the dog under control at all times.

If the dog is a menace then its gotta go to doggy heaven but I wouldnt arrange that dispatch too lightly, & not just on the basis of barking at strangers.

Our neighbour has a large dalmatian dog. When it is in the front garden it jumps at the gate, barking as you pass bye. I saw a young child get such a fright that she ran out on to the road. I hate to think of the consequences if a car had been driving past at the time. I was taking a stroll along the west pier in Dunlaoghaire during the week. Despite there being a sign stating that all dogs must be on a lead, nobody who was walking their dog bothered. And from the state of the dog droppings, it seems most were reluctant to clean up after them as well. Don't get me started....

Dogs bark. Get over it. Maybe they dont like you sauntering by/through their 'domain'. In the majority of cases thats all it is a bark. Dogs rarely attack for no reason.
Most people have a fear of dogs thanks to their parents telling them to 'stay away from that dog, it'll bite you' when they were younger.
Ignore them and they're harmless!

If a friend invites you over they should by all means have the dog tied up or kept away from you if you have a fear or dislike of them. Says more about your friends inconsideration than the dogs!

Dogs bark. Get over it. Maybe they dont like you sauntering by/through their 'domain'. In the majority of cases thats all it is a bark. Dogs rarely attack for no reason.

I don't think it is reasonable to have a dog barking excessively and would object if one was living near me and was barking to much. Dogs should be trained if kept in a built up area and if you cannot control your dog then you should reconsider being a dog owner. As was mentioned earlier any big dog that barks will usually frighten a child if not the family dog and it is unreasonalbe to have these dogs in a built up area if not under control.

redbhoy said:
Dogs bark. Get over it.

Its not that simple, to take the example of the dalmation mentioned earlier, they are traditionally carraige dogs (used to run along side horse drawn carraiges). This type of dog needs space. You dont get that type of space in many Dublin (for example) houses. To accerbate that, the dalmation, like many dogs is a pure breed making it morely highly strung and prone to illness than its mongrel conterparts. In these circumstances these dogs bark and bark and sometimes bite because they are distressed, not enough space.

The owner needs to take responsibility

Sherman said:
Seriously people, cats are the future :D

thats nearly as depressing as the guy (George Orwell??) who said the future was like a face being stamped on by the heel of a boot :D

Purple said:
I'd sooner have rats

Ah Purple! You don't know what you're missing!! Cats are like little tiny women with four legs and a fur coat - they'll ignore you if you're in a sulk but if they think there's something in it for them, they'll be all over you. At least they take responsibility for their poo and bury it, unlike dogs, who just do the business and walk away............hmmm, that reminds me of another species :D

aonfocaleile said:
Ah Purple! You don't know what you're missing!! Cats are like little tiny women with four legs and a fur coat - they'll ignore you if you're in a sulk but if they think there's something in it for them, they'll be all over you. At least they take responsibility for their poo and bury it, unlike dogs, who just do the business and walk away............hmmm, that reminds me of another species :D
I'm not a cat person. Cold hearted, calculating, disloyal, selfish animals.
How do they take responsibility for their poo? They do it in other peoples back gardens! When they are not busy killing small birds and fluffy animals.

I am surrounded by house owners who have dogs. We have the owner who lets his dog out at 11 p.m. to howl at the moon for 20 minutes and at 8 a.m to howl at the rising sun. I have already spoken about the dalmation that has a sorrowful, mournfoul howl during the day while the owner is away. The house behind us has a house dog, very quiet until the owner goes out and leaves the dog outside. It then spends its time barking to be let back inside, while it lunges at their window (setting off the house alarm). The old king charles further up the road that can hardly walk, so the owner walks 100 footsteps ahead, in this way the owner never has to look back to see the dog dumping on the footpath....again. Each dog has a distinctive charachter, just like the owners, each doing its own thing in their own way in their own world.
We have a cat, about 17 years old......

On a related note, any reviews of the collars you can get for dogs which give them a zone they can move in but not leave, works by burying a wire around the edge of, say, your lawn. The dog get an audible sound from the collar as is about to reach the edge and then get an electric shock from the collar when tries to leave the area.

Better than having them chained up I would think and once they get used to their zone they should never have to get the shock.

Back