Toireasa Ferris: was asked to leave the count center, does anyone know why?

Holtend82

Does anyone know what happened in the European Election Count in Cork yesterday ? Toireasa Ferris said in the Examiner today that she was asked to leave the count center for some reason, does anyone know why ?

Re: Toireasa Ferris

Maybe she was asked to leave so they could close up after the count was over.

Her quote on page 7 of the examiner today
"Obviously we were delighted with the vote, and for a while we thought we were going to take the seat. The team were the ones who were here, I was banned from the place for whatever reason and obviously they decided not to" she said when asked whay a recheck had not been sought. (she was only 600 votes behind Kathy Sinnott)

My first read of that would be that the "team" had banned her from attending since - that's who she mentions at the start and end of the sentence, and could have been said in a self-deprecating "out of my hands" way.

A political party could decide they didn't want pictures taken of an emotional losing candidate. (Though in this case that seems over cautious as clearly everyone realized it was an excellent result.)

Some SF supporters aren't above goading and abuse of other losing candidates so may be worried of a backlash when they're on the losing end themselves.

While definitely not the case with Ferris, there's others SF candidates for whom the phrase "face like thunder" is apt even when things are going well so I could see why they might have a few rules.

Back