Toilet/utility conversion

wonko

Planning on buying one of your typical 3 bed sub-urban semis. Thing is the toilet under the stairs is one of the wheelchain access ones. It seems alot of wasted space.

Thinking of converting it into a utility; plenty room for washing machine/tumble dryer and a few shelves. It would get rid of alot of clutter. It shouldn't cost much either really should it.

Thing is resale wise will it bring down value? There is a bathroom and an en-suite upstairs. To me a utility would be a far greater benefit than a huge toilet under the stairs but would value reflect this or go the other way?

Sorry no; just a bit naive about these things.....You know the way people like to have a downstairs jax; if its taken out will that be a problem.

Sorry for being stupid!

Sorry, don't know why I thought this was a wind-up. The most obvious potential flaw is that if it is a new house, depending on the date planning issued or when it was built, if you remove the downstairs toilet it will no longer comply with building regulations and you will have this difficulty on a resale so you will either have to refit a toilet or find a buyer willing to buy a house that doesnt conform to the regs ( a cash buyer).

Yeah that kinda dawned on me; but many of the houses we saw had washing machines under the stairs rather than toilets. Those were older style smaller toilets so maybe the regs do not apply to those

I have done the same, converted it into a utility room 3 bathrooms no need for it unless you have a large family. Just got my washing machine and dryer plumbed and got a worktop fitted great for storage. I also kept the sink and when i took out the toilet i put it in the attic incase i do decide to move i can just get it put back in. Its not expensive to get the toilet put back in.

Interesting Latch....if it not rude how much would a job like that tend to set you back?

Hi

We are planning to do the same! Also interested in cost of removing sink&WC and installing washing machine and dryer.

The toilet is in the kitchen (!). Was there no regulation to have only one door between kitchen and loo?

Vanilla, why would it have to be a cash buyer? Anyway our house is for living in, not for selling on. I dont want to compromise on my comfort just because the house might be sold on at some point at the future!

EVGR said:
Vanilla, why would it have to be a cash buyer?

I'm sure Vanilla will clarify but at a guess I'd say it would have to be a cash buyer because anyone getting a mortgage would have trouble getting the bank to sign off on a mortgage for a house which does not comply with the regulations.

I have to say I had the same idea as the OP as the way my house is set up there will only be room for a combo washer/dryer in the kitchen and I am not too fond of them. I considered the downstairs toilet for a utility room as there is an ensuite and a bathroom upstairs but was advised against it by a friend in the trade on the basis of the regulations aswell, which I had not considered, so I have now knocked that idea on the head.

My friend a plumber charged us €200.00 for an outside tap, plumbed for washing machine and dryer and took out toilet. I bought a large worktop in B&Q for under €40.00. i kept the sink. I lived in my house for a year before i got it done and no one ever used the downstairs toilet. If you are planning on staying in your home for a couple of years a utility is a great idea you can also look into the regulations when you are deciding to sell your home and if theres a problem you can probably get your toilet put back in for under €100.00.

I'm sure Vanilla will clarify but at a guess I'd say it would have to be a cash buyer because anyone getting a mortgage would have trouble getting the bank to sign off on a mortgage for a house which does not comply with the regulations.

'xactly.

To get around the problem, could you remove the toilet etc, and leave the plumbing etc. Then if you re sell, just stick the toliet back etc?

I'm sure somebody will tell me this is a stupid question , but how will the
bank know whether the downstairs toilet has been removed or not????

What if the buyer agrees that having three toilets in a three bed house is a complete waste of space at worst and merely a marketing gimmick as best??

Thanks alot all; plenty food for thought. Think I'm going to chance it and keep the jax in the attic to change it back if needs be