Toilet smell

D

davcot

We are living in a new house in a rural area. We have a puraflow system installed by Eco Tanks. Since we moved in, the smell coming from the bathrooms has been awful. Basically there is a smell of sewage coming through the toilets. We installed an extra vent pipe near the tank, and an Air Admittance Valve in the attic, both to no effect. The builder (very reputable ) has never come across this before, and is baffled. An employee of the Builder's Providers where we bought the bathroom suites told us that it was the toilets which were the problem. They are very bad at disposing of waste. There is a lot of water in the flush, which swirls around but does nothing. Sometimes it can take four or five flushes to clear the bowl. Any suggestions ?

Just a thought: are you sure the smell is coming from the toilet?

Might be coming up the sink / bath / shower waste pipes.

Here's an idea: run some water in each of these, to ensure the traps are filled. Plug them. Run some water again to a depth of a couple of inches.

Make sure you switch off the water ;-)

Leave overnight.

Close the bathroom door / windows / vents.

Check for stink in a couple of hours / the morning.

Might also need to trying blocking the overflows (I know, I know, bad idea...).

You might find there is no stink in which case it may be due something other than the toilet.

I am sure other posters will be able to give you other (better) ideas, but there's one for a kick off.

are all the bathrooms smell? how many? had a case where very bad smell in toilet was down to a very minute tear in the white plastic bend behind toilet. As eamonn says, make sure unused showers, sinks etc have their traps filled.

Previous reply is indeed correct most awful smells are due to foul air being pulled in through tiny gaps in poorly fitted patent pan connectors usually bent ones..

As a previous poster suggested, could be that the flush is pulling the water out of the sink or bath/shower traps. This happens if the system is not properly ventilated. It's solved by making sure the vent pipe's working properly. In some cases, an anti-siphon valve is required (it's placed on the sink/shower waste pipe).

Another possibility - is the bathroom properly ventilated? The smell could be "residual."

By the way, I doubt if a poor flush is causing the problem, but if the flush is poor, it sounds like your sewage pipes are possibly blocked, which could also be contributing to your odour problem. Have you checked the inspection chambers outside?