To sell before the NCT or not?

MG01

My car is due for NCT in June, it is also due to be taxed then. There are a few things that will need to be done to get it through the NCT (it's an old car - 1995, 114k miles) all in all between tax and the service / NCT on the car I'm probably looking at 1k cash.

My question is should I get rid of the car before June to avoid that cost? I have a big engine car so whatever I buy next will have a smaller engine so the tax will be cheaper and petrol costs too.

I realise that the car is less valuble without the NCT but I'm not sure that I would make the difference in the sale value of the car - any advice?

You may find it difficult to sell a car few months before NCT is due, unless you slash the price. I would personaly not go near it.

If it has no NCT and it will take 1k to pass it you will have to sell it for more than 1k less than what you could sell if that work is done.

The buyer will expect a premium discount for the chance involved in buying it without NCT.

A buyer who works on cars may buy but also will expect a discount over the labour/parts costs to make it worth while.

Just get the NCT its easier, you wll probably get substatiall less visits to see it whne people find it is not NCTd.

thanks for the replies - you're probably all right, was just afraid that the 3k or so I'd get on trade in now may not go up above 4 should I get it NCT'd in advance.

I just bought a car recently and I wouldn't have gone near a car that didn't have it's NCT done. I reckon you'd be better just doing it, hopefully it won't work out too dear for you!

thanks for the replies - you're probably all right, was just afraid that the 3k or so I'd get on trade in now may not go up above 4 should I get it NCT'd in advance.

If those are the figures, and you plan to trade it in, I'd do it now before the NCT.

I doubt whether or not the car has an NCT would make a difference of 1k to the trade in value - best ask to find out first.

I'd very much agree with the others though if you plan to sell privately: there's a huge difference between selling a car with 2 years NCT and one with a few weeks to go before expiring. Not just in price terms, but also in the ease with which you'll sell it. Like many others, I wouldn't touch it with a proverbial pole if it had no or little NCT left.

I would say go and test the water.

have a look at prices on www.carzone.ie

See what various garages will give you on trade ins.

If the car is good safe comfortable may be worth getting it through the test and keeping it for another 2 years.

Sometimes better the divil you know.

I would say on trade it wouldn't make a huge difference on a car that old if the NCT is due soon or not. Won't mke the difference in the time money and effort of doing it.

I would NCT the car, most buyers are reluctant to buy without an NCT and even if it does fail it usually doesent cost that much to put right

Hold on a second €3000 for a 1995 car in a trade in, you haven't a hope in hell getting that price for it. Garages don't want these old cars as for selling private the only way that you will get near that price is if the car is a BMW.

Back