To plaster or timber vaulted sunroof ceiling

mct1

Our new extension sunroom (under construction) has a vaulted roof. We want a painted white ceiling but now aren't sure whether a plaster or (painted) timber finish is the best option. The floor will be wood or ceramic tiles (not sure about that either and not long to decide!). Any comments appreciated.

We did ours with plaster, then painted it. Advantages are its cheaper, looks great, colour can be changed when you like, and looks clean. We had intended to do a timber ceiling, but got talked out of it by the builder, and are very happy with it now. Wood can be a little OTT too when there's a lot of it overhead, and painting or varnishing/dyeing is very difficult to get right. There will be enough wood on the floor if you choose that, otherwise its just too much.

We did ours with plaster, then painted it. Advantages are its cheaper, looks great, colour can be changed when you like, and looks clean. We had intended to do a timber ceiling, but got talked out of it by the builder, and are very happy with it now. Wood can be a little OTT too when there's a lot of it overhead, and painting or varnishing/dyeing is very difficult to get right. There will be enough wood on the floor if you choose that, otherwise its just too much.

I'll second that. The timber vaulted ceiling is very much on the way out.
Painted white is a much cleaner crisper look and brighter too.

Thanks. Good points and plaster would be much easier to paint now you mention it. I'd rather have emulsion dripping all over me than solvent based wood paint.

Back