To move or not to move

angela59

I'm in a bit of a quandry. We built our existing house 15 years ago. Some land came up for sale about 1 mile from us which we purchased - we have put in for planning to build a house on it and live there and have the remaining land for our children when they get married either for them to build on it - or sell it to enable them to buy a house. We will know shortly about planning permission - council looked for further information - not very much changes so it is looking good on that front. The existing house we live in - we have it finished to a very good standard and are happy here - the gardens are manicured and well established, if we are staying there are a few things we would like to do - for example build on a drive in garage a playroom, and extend utility room and reinsulate where needed. On the other hand if we did get permission to build we have a new house with everything we need - financially having done figures - whatever way I work it out the bottom figure comes out more or less the same. The benefit of moving from where I live I have 1 acre moving to 3 acres with the extra land for kids. I will only build on 3/4 acre and get a farmer to put cattle on remainder. I would like some opinions negative or positive but not sarcastic please.

IMHO it has to be the new one. You will have the inconvenience of building, moving etc. but in the long run the new house with extra land will be the winning point.

Suppose tho at the end of the day its your choice if you can cope with the hassle/stress.

IF IT WORKS OUT MORE OR LESS THE SAME-I would go for the new build with the bonus of all that land in the same location.

Me too - another thing is that you can get exactly the house you need if you build and move.

Thanks for replies. I suppose I thought I would never move from our existing location but when the land came up - it was either now or never - might not have the same energy in 10 years time. Alot still has to fall into place with the planning and then to get the correct price for our existing house - some of the quotes we are gettin back are fairly serious - though I have read on this website about homebuilder and have asked them for a quote - will keep you posted and thanks again - it is nice to have other opinions to weigh up the pros and cons.