To keep a classic mini or not?

mprsv1000

Moving back from england soon an dwas wondering weather to bring my classic mini (1990)back with me or sell it here. its completely rebuilt with 1330 engine, wide arches,13x7 wheels bucket seats, new HIf card, straight exhause etc. Origional engine has only 28,000 miles and the new one only 4,000
Do they fetch good money in Ireland??

Re: To keep a classic mini or not??

It'll be as easy to sell in the UK and you won't get much more in Ireland.
you'll be paying at least €350 for VRT another €20 for number plates and at least €48 for an NCT if you get it through NCt first time - they'll probably fail it on something so €27 for each re-test. Add the cost of transporting it here as well.
If you intend to use it in Ireland then why not but the potholes here will leave you with big bills for suspension and wheel bearing repairs(I'm speaking from experience here).
Also there will be a prejudice against a UK car used on salted roads becuase Minis rust badly.
Prices in UK are strong and insurance more friendly toward people wanting to insure a second car.

bring it over people do it every week have you looked at the prices that minis get here

it's a goldmine

Assuming you can import it VRT free it makes sense to do so.

The classic Mini's short wheelbase and suspension set up are not ideal here as many road surfaces are poor.

They still make good money however.

they are fun to drive, it's like a go kart with an umbrella on top i had a mayfair

Forgive my ignorance, but why did you have to replace the original engine at only 28,000 miles ?

Forgive my ignorance, but why did you have to replace the original engine at only 28,000 miles ?

1330 cc is an overbore. Bigger than standard. On overbore means everything in bits hence a rebuild.

More cc's = more power.

Sounds like a nice little car.

I would say bring it over and keep it.

Great fun.

Thanks for your replies guys, just wondering if I would have to pay VRT as I have lived in the U.K for 10 years now and will be moving home for good?

And yes the engine was a rebuild but from a mini cooper as mine was origionally only 998cchave the HIF44 1.75 carb with a custum made needle, 98bhp at the wheels, should pass any inspection as its had new bearings, cv joints, and rear subframe to name but a few. oh yea all wax-oiled and sprayed with FC50 the stuff they use on jets to keep the rust off.

What is insurance like for a second car in Ireland? are they (insurance compaines) still fleecing people. I get fully comp on said car for £98 a year with 1 years no claim bonus.

You son't have to pay vrt if you are brining only one car the mini home.

If you are taking a main car and the mini you may get stung.

If it were me I would try and bring a big car as my vrt free import.

... dont buy anything just before you come over - you must have it ( either bike or car ) at least 6 months registered at your address + bills etc. before your move.
Anything you buy within 6 months of moving you may have to prove you bought it not knowing you were coming ...which can be a pain !
Bring the mini ! sounds the biz

Bring a something with a 2 liter engine or above. VRT above 1.9 is 30%

Better to go diesel.

A nice diesel 30% cheaper straight away well worth the effort.

BMW 530D or X5 3.0D are very popular over here.

Check out for what mini's are making Here Young employee of mine paid €4000 for a 87 mini 2 months ago, has thies big numbers on the side and bonnet He allowed it was a bargain as the older one's could make anything,You wont go wrong with it over here.