To fix rising damp in period house before selling or not

elainem

Hi! I have a period house with rising damp, and also possibly damp coming up through floor - I don't know whether to fix it before I sell or not. I have no mortgage on the house, and it is currently rented out. I just don't want the hassle any longer of tenants and repairs to an old property. The property is in D4. The damp is only in the kitchen area.

Thanks in advance for advice.

It's the one thing a surveyor will look for. They might look for the price to be reduced slightly to pay for it.
It's a pity my "surveyor" didn't notice it when he did my house

I think most people expect unmodernised period properties to have rising damp, so every prospective purchaser will be looking for it, and will factor this into the price they will pay. If it's only in the kitchen (you don't have a mud floor under red tiles by the way?) it may not be a major impediment in selling as the kitchen is the part of the house most people renovate as soon they buy.

I thought ours was the only one to have red tiles on a mud (sand) floor when we bought it. The kitchens are usually small in period properties, so most want to extend anyway. If the ceilings are very high in the kitchen, mine were 16 ft. you could put in a false floor which effectively deals with the problem. Water proof barrier membranes etc. are laid first. I don't think a damp back wall in a room,I intended to extend ,would put me off but a damp floor would as I'd imagine there might be more going on. I wouldn't worry too much. D4 period properties are still selling very well, no matter what their condition.